Saturday, January 14, 2006

Gays: Sexual Predators?

I've sparked some interesting debate on another website (Discuss-It) regarding Gay rights. Me and my conservative mouth.

Apparently, that bozo-looking movie critic, Gene Shalit, like I, didn't care for Brokeback Mountain. He said the character of Jack was a "sexual predator" who "tracks Ennis down and coaxes him into sporadic trysts."

Big deal! It's true!

Well, the gay community has its condoms in a knot over this one. We think it's discrimination and that Shalit is a homophobe. Come on! GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) made some intimidating accusations toward Shalit, painting him into a corner and making him apologize for his comment. He acquiesced.

My response was that he should have said "F___ off! Only an idiot would think it homophobic."

I mean he's not the prettiest of men but let's not let that get in the way. I thought he was a sister myself but apparently he's not but does have a gay son and is very active and supportive of his life. He's not my favorite movie critic but he shouldn't be intimidated into apologizing for fear of looking like a "homophobe".

When are we going to get the idea that that if we want to make headway in the “gay rights” area, we’re not going to get it by intimidating others, by labeling them a homophobe - because that’s certainly not in vogue - or by shoving ourselves in straight faces and demanding “special rights”.

Unfortunately, this may mean proving that we are not child molesters and deviant sociopaths just as African-Americans had to prove that they were not an inferior race.

4 comments:

Charles A. said...

I have not seen Brokeback Mountain yet, and more then likely I will not see it. Simply because of a lack to someone to see it with. Anything that brings a bad name to our community is going to hurt our cause. I don't want to pass judgement on the movie, but I know we need to work on how the world judges us as a community.

Darwinist said...

I urge you all to follow Rick's comments and others on the this website. There's currently an interesting debate raging. Let Rick know what you think.

Rick Bettencourt said...

Charles - go see Brokeback! It's definitely a must see for any gay person. I just didn't care for the story line but I can at least recognized it's importance.

Thanks for reading my blog!

Rick

Honey Bunny said...

brokeback mountain is NOT a "must see for any gay person". that's completely patroizing and just plain ignorant.

brokeback is an awesome movie for anyone who has ever been in love. the cinematography is amazing, the scenery is breathtaking, the acting is superb, and the storyline is completely heartbreaking. the same story could have been told with two female characters or even a hetero couple. the entire point is that they had to keep their love for each other secret. there are many people in this world, male and female, who have been in that situation at least once in their lives.

to not see this movie because you hear that it's a 'gay cowboy' film is juvenile at best. you're missing out on a spectacular film that cuts to the bone when it comes to love and heartache.