Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Happy Birthday Bandit!

Today is Bandit's birthday! Five years ago today X and I got a call from the breeder in Meredith, New Hampshire: "Rick? Congratulations! Your son was just born!"

I was ecstatic! We had gone up about a month previous tosee his Mom (Heidi Ho) and view the facility. It was a nice farm spread across acres and acres of land with a dozen or so Cairn Terriers yipping and yapping as we pulled up. The breeder, a widow living with her niece, had a passion for Cairns and was happy to hear of our enthusiasm for parenthood.

We went up again a week or two after his birth to see him and got to hold him. Somewhere I even have video footage of the event. He literally fit inside the palm of my hand. Of course we couldn't take him home just then. We just wanted to see him so we made the 3 hour trip up. Six to eight weeks later, in January of 2002, we went back up to get him.

I'll never forget the first night we had him. The breeder suggested to begin potty training him immediately: "Newspaper training is old hat! Take him outside every few hours especially after he drinks." Well wouldn't you know at 3:30 in the morning he needed to go out. The joys of potty training.


He was about the size of a guinea pig and I couldn't really tell if he was squatting to pee or if he was just sitting down to rest so I brought out a flashlight. There I am and 3:30 in the morning in front of my house with a flashlight peering into my bushes.

Two seconds later a police cruiser comes barreling down my street, a one way going the wrong way. "Excuse me sir. What seems to be..."


I turned around to talk to him, he saw Bandit and he began to laugh. There was the little Bandittos trying to pee on my front lawn.

At first he thought I was a burglar trying to wield my way into the house but as soon as he saw the little Bandit he understood.

"At least the neighborhood is safe," I said to the cop.

He chuckled. "Have a good night and good luck with him."


So that's how Bandit got his name...me trying to break him in.


Powered by Zoundry

10 comments:

dbv said...

what a cute story... i should write about how sterling got his name...

Countess Bedelia said...

I love this story. My angel got her name the night before I even knew about her. I had a dream that I had a little white fluffy dog named Mai-Ling. The next day my future husband surprised me with a fluffy white Llasa Apso. She was my little darling for 14 years.

Spider said...

Happy Birthday Bandit! Hampton sends her love and best wishes!

Anthony said...

omg! My drag name is the name of bandit's mother...

Heidi Ho ho ho for the holidays!!

Derek said...

Happy Bday and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Mikey said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Great story!

Joshua said...

LOL, I know Rick and I'd love to have you on board with us. What I understand is that you have to open a profile under old blogger and join with that account. Others have done it, I don't know the logistics of how it all works! But I'll try to find out for you if you can't figure it out :) If you know Brad from Southern Expressions, he was the one who led me onto the idea - and did it himself. But if it's too much trouble, no worries, bud!

Charles said...

Awesome story! I wondered where Bandit's name came from. Happy b-day bandit.

Joshua said...

O my Goodness! Happy Birthday!

Donnie said...

Awww.....that's a great story, Rick! I'd love to see a pic of what Bandit looked like when you first brought him home.

Happy Belated Birthday, Bandit!