Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Huge Explosion Rocks Danvers, Massachusetts


At 2:45 this morning I was awoken to what I thought was a nuclear explosion: "Korea developed the technology," I thought. "They dropped a bomb on New York City or Boston and we're feeling the ramifications. It's all over."

Yet when I turned on the news this morning I found out it wasn't Korea; it was Danvers. A chemical plant in an industrial area, Danversport, exploded strewing paint and chemicals around the surrounding neighborhood, ripping roofs off of homes and businesses and demolishing buildings. Luckily no one was killed and only minor injuries were reported. Yet the damage is extensive. It's hard to believe no one was killed.



One particular home had it's walls ripped off exposing the interior of a bedroom. Other people's roofs were completely annihilated. It looks like a war zone.

The impact was felt as far away as Maine. My niece that lives about five miles from the area also heard the explosion. It knocked and shattered a picture off her nightstand.

The company was CAI, Inc., a chemical plant that produces solvents and ink. Their headquarters appear to be in Georgetown, Massachusetts.


Links: Boston.com news story of the incident

More on story



More Pictures...









Technorati : , ,
Del.icio.us : , ,
Ice Rocket : , ,
Flickr : , ,
Zooomr : , ,
Buzznet : , ,
Riya : , ,
43 Things : , ,

Powered by Zoundry

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please get more pictures!!

Spider said...

WOW! I am glad to hear you are OK... what a blow for a lot of people right before Thanksgiving...

dbv said...

wow... you can see the force from that first channel 5 pic...

Mr. Brian said...

I was at home in bed at 2:48AM, when I felt a rumble that shook my building. It felt like it happened in my complex, and I"m in Methuen, MA! Yikes!

Sorted Lives said...

I heard about that -- sounds awful!!

I hope you have a great holiday and give Bandit a kiss for his birthday.

Mikey said...

Wow...I never heard anything about that till now..I will have to watch the news...glad you are safe

digital t-square said...

Whoa. I've been watching the news stories about the explosion. I didn't realize you were so close to it. My knowledge of east coast geography is poor. Glad to hear that Kim Jung Il wasn't the cause. Happy Thanksgiving.

Will said...

Rick, I knew you were North shore but you must have been fairly close to Danvers. fritz and I woke up top the news of what had happened. Miraculous that there were no eaths, few and minor injuries, and no general fire throughout the town!

Donnie said...

YIKES! Glad to hear nobody was killed.