Saturday, January 20, 2007

Balls!


Last night, after finally returning the hellacious iPod transponder to Best Buy, I went to "The Club". I don't know why I go there. I guess because I get bored and lonely, usually the cause for such an outing. I figured, it was Friday night...nothing much better to do. I had taken a nap and it was too early to go to bed.

I find something strange about sitting at a bar stool by myself. I don't particularly like it. I don't like to face into the bar, in that position, my fears of being a career alcoholic ring forth. So instead, with rum and coke in hand, I turn and face the "audience", if you would, so that I'm at least making myself available for conversation, however fleeting. The first hour or so of the evening there usually isn't much conversation but after a drink or two people start to loosen up. Whether that's my loosening up or theirs, I'm not sure - perhaps a bit of both. Of course you have the groups of people that come in together. They're always having fun. But us lonely birds stick it out until someone (or me) decides to strike up a conversation. I'm not looking for verbose discussion on the state of Iraqi or to bandy about global warming, although some, in drunken stupor, attempt to. With music blaring and eyes cruising, it's not the place. No, I just like people and getting to know them. "Where you from? Really? Me too!" or "Cool hat..." The conversation is kept light. From that, you occasionally met a friend that's worthy of getting together outside the bar but most bar friends are just that bar friends. You know them at the bar, only at the bar and if you pass by each other outside the bar, very rare, you give a friendly hello and that's about it. Once in a great, great while you meet someone with which you'd like to hang.

One such good friend I met at the bar is Rob. I've mentioned him in the past. Bandit calls him Uncle Rob. Well, I'm a bit upset with Uncle Rob right now and here is why: For a variety of reasons Rob and I have not been able to hook up since before the holidays, so the other day we got together and exchanged presents. Well...(here comes the why I'm mad part) he bought Bandit several things one of which is this red apple-sized super ball. Well, Bandit will not part with this thing. And quite frankly, will have nothing to do with me, unless it involves this friggin' ball. As I write, I'm hearing him bounce it, at 7:00 am, on the upstairs hardwood floors keeping the entire household awake. If I take it away. He cries. Bring him outside, the ball comes with him. When he comes back in, the ball comes in too. Up to bed, he takes it upstairs and sleeps with it. I'm hoping he wears tired of it soon but so far it doesn't look as if that is happening anytime soon. This is just getting crazy. When watching tv, he gets the ball and drops it at your feet until you throw it back and forth for an hour. This dog loves balls! And especially anything from Uncle Rob.

Anyway, Rob is a dear, dear friend. Of course, he wasn't at "The Club" last night. So I sat alone until the night wore on. Nonetheless, I missed his witty sarcasm.

8 comments:

dbv said...

I may have to come to Boston this year, I'm dying to see "The Club" you keep writing about. I have a visual in my head and I'm sure it's way off, but I want to see this place. LOL

Rick said...

Sure..let me know when you're in town. The Club is certainly nothing special.

Donnie said...

I'm sure Bandit will tire of the red SuperBall. It's funny though, when Buttons (my daschund) was alive, he loved dodgeballs, soccerballs, and basketballs. If it was small (like him) he'd have nothing to do with it, but otherwise he'd roll the ball around with his nose.....running furiously.

sortedlives said...

If I make my way to Boston this year, I would be honored to sit next to you.

Mikey said...

You should tie Rob to the bed post and make him play ball with Bandit...only let him loose when you need someone to go to the Club with!

steve'swhirlyworld said...

Hey Rick...sorry I haven't commented in a while. It sounds like you're back in the saddle again.

Bars are a LONELY place in my opinion. I think I'd rather stay home and watch a good movie if I didn't have someone to go out with.

If you're ever in Phoenix (up until April) or Dallas after that, let me know. I'll buy the first rum and coke :)

Spider said...

Sounds like next time - a phone call to Uncle Rob is in order before you head out - I am sure he would love to see you - and stop by to see how much Bandit loves his toy...

Maddog said...

I have always hated going to bars by myself. I always felt like I looked desperate, not that I was but it's how I felt that I appeared. The ball makes me laugh and think of a time when I lived downstairs from a woman who's cats liked to play with ping pong balls on the hard wood floors. At 6 a.m. Ugh.