Wednesday, January 17, 2007

iPod: Volvo for Life

Yesterday I got a Volvo iPod adapter installed. I was so excited to get an iPod for Christmas and really wanted to be able to listen to it in my car. A couple weeks ago, at Best Buy, I bought one of those FM wave transmitters. Even though it was top of the line, at over $100, I didn't like it. Depending upon which station you tuned into and where you were, the reception was flimsy at best. And even when you did get a good connection, high notes would crackle. Drove me nuts!

A couple weeks ago, after hearing Jennifer Hudson's voice break on "I Am Changing", I broke down and inquired at the Volvo dealership. I burst into the show room yelling, "Jennifer Hudson's voice does not crack! Trust me. I voted for her on season 3 of American Idol. I know these things!" They thought I was crazy but once they calmed me down, I asked if they had any suggestions to rectify the situation. They ordered me an adapter kit that works similar to a 10 disc CD changer except it works with the play lists on your iPod. It wasn't cheap but on the other hand it was cheaper than the iPod ready 2007 S60, beige with leather interior they almost talked me into -- actually over $40,000 less.

While I'm still trying to figure the adapter out, it work flawlessly. I love it! The iPod sits locked away in my armrest (not hovering out on some honking piece of plastic connected to my cigarette lighter) and I can use all the controls on the radio as well as my steering wheel to control it. Previously, with the FM transmitter, I would have to dial up the songs on the tiny iPod Nano, all the while driving a stick shift, navigating through traffic and talking on my cell phone. I'm surprised I didn't get into any accidents. More importantly though, with the Volvo for Life iPod adapter, Jennifer Hudson's voice sounds "like butter", no more Peter Brady voice cracks.

Later today, I'll be returning the $100 piece of plastic back to Best Buy. I'll walk in: "This ruins Diva voices. It's just too much for one gay guy to handle. And not only that...it almost cost me $40,000!"

7 comments:

Will said...

Not willing to spend $40,000 to preserve your divas in all their splendor? You might be asked to turn in your gay card, Rick!

Donnie said...

Push come to shove, I might just have to fork over the $40,000 for crystal clear music.

Good luck with the adapter, Rick. Use it in good health. Now you can multi-task in the car without fear of substandard music.

Anthony said...

nothing beats the adaptors for easy of use. being able to use your regular audio controls for the ipod make driving sooo much more fun.

Anonymous said...

get the car...........

Sorted said...

I love my Volvo. I decided against the iPod adapter when I purchased my car since Sirius radio came with the car. I figured there was enough music to listen to, and then some.

Jamie Cole said...

What model is your Volvo? They tell me I can't get the adapter for my 2002.

Rick said...

2003 S60...I guess the earlier models don't allow.