Monday, January 22, 2007

Why My SmartPhone is Retarded

Last week I got what's called a "SmartPhone". However, I think mine's mildly retarded. It's a Motorola Q from Verizon. I'm not sure if I like it. For a retard, it's very complicated and a little more than I can handle right now. I liked the concept of sending and receiving e-mails from a handheld, quick browsing on the Internet, taking pictures and synchronizing with my laptop; hence the reason for me getting it but when it really comes down to it, I just need a phone.

I'm on the Verizon plan where I get a free phone every two years so this one cost me nothing (well, I'll get the rebate check in the mail) but I did have to upgrade my service plan. This is where they get you. I now pay an additional $45 a month for unlimited e-mail and Internet service. Of course, this is on top of my already existing DSL pricing. I'm beginning to think this ability to be constantly connected to my 'peeps' is just not worth it. Between phone and Internet services, I'll now be spending almost $200 a month. Is it worth it? How connected do I need to be?

In addition, from the device, I'm having difficulty sending mail. It constantly gets hung up in my Outbox. When I go onto my computer, I see about twenty copies of the same e-mail all without a sender all trying to go out every 10 or 15 minutes. "Hello! I put a sender in there. Why is the contact wiped out? No wonder it's not going anywhere." I really don't have the time or the patience to detect the issue. I suppose I could spend a night on hold with tech support to try and figure it out but like I said, I don't have the time: There's a sock draw somewhere that needs sorting.

I'll give it another couple of days. I have 15 days to return it. If I can't quickly figure this out then I'm going back to my old (ca. 1985) cell phone or maybe I'll just switch to Sprint.

7 comments:

Spider said...

DON'T SWITCH TO SPRINT! Sprint is Satin - the demon spawn and evil on earth... go to a tincan with a string before you go to Sprint...

May I suggest Cingular...

savante said...

A free phone every 2 years!!?! God, I need to subscribe to that line!

dbv said...

i'm amazed at the people who can use those with such proficiency... personally, i'd even like to do away with the cell phone, but can't!!

Countess Bedelia said...

Hah! That last picture looks like my first cell phone. It plugged into the cigarette lighter in the car and was just for emergencies. How our world has changed!

digital t-square said...

I have to agree with Spider. I was switched to Sprint when Nextel was sold to them. Sprint has very poor coverage in my area. More often than not, my calls are dropped or can't even go through. Sprint is only slightly better than using a payphone. I'll switch to Cingular when Apple's iPhone comes out.

Donnie said...

I'm happy with my Motorola flip phone from SunCom. Knock on wood, I don't have any problems or complaints with them. However, I hardly ever use my cell.

Will said...

I have a very spotty relationship with Sprint. I travel a lot for pleasure and to attend theater and opera performances all over. While I'm on major highways it's usually OK (although there's a black hole around Greenwich, CT, one of the wealthiest and most populated areas of the Northeast where calls inevitably drop). But when I get out into the countryside just a mile or two, it all becomes extremely chancy.

Like you, I'm really interested in making and receiving phone calls, not producing independent movies starring all my gay friends--astonishingly seductive an idea though that might be. Even just as a bare bones phone, Sprint frequently comes up short. I will be dropping THEM and switching to Verison later this year.