Saturday, February 03, 2007

A Case of the Blue Pickups

About a month ago, I was cruising along the highway when I noticed this blue pickup truck zip by. I was going 70. He must have been going 90. I didn't think too much of it. I later pulled into the parking lot of the mall that I was going to and who was behind me but Mr. Blue Pickup. How in the hell did I beat him? He was way ahead of me. I didn't think too much of it, grabbed my gym bag from the back seat and went in to workout.

About an hour later, I come back only to find a note on my windshield blowing in the breeze held tight by my driver's side wiper: "Hi...thought you were cute. Give me a call...blah...blah...blah". What? Who the heck is this? In his short note, he referred to being the one in the blue pickup. You got to be kidding me! I didn't even see him really. A baseball cap and goatee was about all I saw. My mind was elsewhere. I wasn't interested. I used the note as a placeholder for my gum and later threw it in the trash. Probably some stalker.

The other day X called me. He wanted to get together for lunch. He was at a clients near my office. I was in between meetings and starving. "Sure," I said. So we had tuna sandwiches at this small cafe by my office. He asked me how my life was going. I told him. We talked about the insurance issues: I keep getting billed for a house I no longer have. In fact the insurance company owes us money but have yet to pay it back. We talked about Bandit. It was a fine, innocent, business as usual conversation. I headed back to my car. He got back in his -- a blue pickup! I almost shit. My mind raced putting two and two together. No way. I started to panic. Is he leaving me notes. Does he want to get back... Yet as I looked closer at him pulling out, sans baseball cap but with goatee, I thought I recalled Mr. Blue Pickup's truck being a different shade of blue and larger.

Then Thursday, once again heading to the gym, I saw another blue pickup. Now there are a lot of blue pickups out there. I was beginning to get paranoid. Who the hell was that guy? Unfortunately, time has made me morph some of the details; now I can't even remember what Mr. Blue's pickup really looked like. Was it even blue?

I worked out. Headed back to my car. No note. Phew!

5 comments:

dbv said...

I only have one question, why would you have lunch with someone who treated you as shitty as your X did? I think I would have done a James Cagney and smeared that tuna sandwich all over his face and then rinsed it off for him by throwing the beverage I was having in his face!! but that's just me!!

Donnie said...

Maybe someone's trying to "Gaslight" you, Rick. I sometimes come up with irrational conspiracies to explain the things in my life.

Maximus Leo said...

Fetish for a blue pick up truck???? :-) Just kidding... Take care!

savante said...

But what if blue pickup guy was a hot decent guy? I know it's a little scary to be picked up in the middle of nowhere but maybe it's worth a try, right?

Spider said...

Blue pick-up trucks are like assholes - they are everywhere! Ignore and go forward...

btw - CONGRATS on your PLU listing - GOOD FOR YOU!