Friday, February 16, 2007

Frozen In

A recap on the snowstorm: Well, we didn't get as much "snow" as anticipated; however, that didn't make matters any better. They let us out of work early (around 3:00) as the three or four inches of snow was turning to an icy mix of sleet. There were accidents all over.


By the time I got home my driveway was a pool of rain, snow and ice chunks. I had to park across the street. For at the end of my driveway, the snowplows had dumped about a foot of ice and heavy wet snow. I had to clear it out and shovel my way in. After an hour of shoveling about 6x6 section, enough to be able to get the car in, the remainder of the forty foot driveway looked daunting. I started to shovel the rest but it was like pushing around a small ice pond. Shoveling or even snow blowing was useless -- cold, wet, heavy water and ice everywhere. "Fuck it!" I got my car from the plaza across the street, drove over the ice and water and parked. Done with it! In for the night, alone on Valentine's.

Yesterday, I got up to find the rain and sleet had continued over night. Ice everywhere. I literally had to pry my car door open for it was frozen shut. To hasten the defrosting time, I started up the car then headed back in to make my breakfast and do some last minute stuff. When I got back out, even though the car was toasty warm inside and the rear defroster had melted some of the ice, I still had to spend about a 20 minutes chiseling off the windows.

Finally, I got inside all set to back out and head in for my 8:30 meeting. Wouldn't you know, the car wouldn't budge...wheels just spinning in the ice. I got out. All four tires were literally frozen into the driveway -- in about three inches of ice. The pond I had parked in had frozen over night. Out came the ice pick. After another half-hour, forty-five minutes of chiseling off the ice around my tires I was finally able to get out. I wasn't late for my meeting because everyone else was in the same predicament.

That was my morning. Aruba sounds nice right about now.

7 comments:

dbv said...

aruba sounds nice anytime... brrr... i couldn't imagine having to do all that just to go somewhere.... we're having our winter now... both days of it...

Donnie said...

Goodness gracious! When I read posts like this, I don't feel bad about living down here in NC. We might not get much (if any) snow, but we also don't get those kinds of icestorms either.

Try to have a good weekend, Rick.

Anthony said...

Yup, that is EXACTLY why I moved back out here to the wet coast. thos ice storms you have back east are nuts!!

Charles said...

I thought our snow was bad enbough. We didn't hve the ice storm thank havens. I'm sorry that you and everyone else in your area had to put up with the ice storm.

Spider said...

Damn - I would have turned around, gone back inside and crawled back in bed... but think of poor Bandit - he has to go out and pee in all that mess...

Glenn said...

Oh, how I don't miss that aspect of living in Massachusetts. And here I was, complaining about 55 degree temps and having to turn the heat on in my house. I'll stay here in Fort Lauderdale!

somewhere joe said...

So I like snowstorms?
Yes I do!
But somewhere else...
like in a zoo.