Sunday, February 18, 2007

My First Car/Boat



My first car was a 1973 Buick Century – the size of a boat. It was blue with black (cracked) vinyl interior and matching vinyl roof. It was a hand-me-down from my parents. They got it practically brand new. I got it in 1983, when cars didn’t really last very long -- 10 years was very old.

It had rear wheel drive. Amazing the advances we’ve seen in tires over the years. Back then the New England weather required that every fall you put on “snow” tires. (I can’t remember the last time I had a car that required this.) Regardless of the additionally traction of my boat’s snow tires, each winter I skidded around the Massachusetts’ streets like I was driving on a Slip and Slide.

To make matters worse I lived on the top of a hill. Pulling out of the incline driveway, I had to back all the way down to the bottom of the hill and floor it till I spun my way up the top of the hill. I don't miss those days.

7 comments:

Donnie said...

Ohhh....and Oldsmobuick! That's what we used to call most of the Olds/Buick cars from the 70's/80's. Funny how they always seemed to be the same cars, just with different names and trim levels.

Spider said...

I remember those... my parents always drove Buicks... I learned to drive on a 1968 Wildcat... and my parents had a 1975 Electra 225 Limited 4 door - or as it was know "on the streets" as "a deuce and a quarter with a high top and wind..."

digital t-square said...

We too had a Buick. When parking spaces started to shrink, that boat got more difficult to park. And if you did find a space, you couldn't open those two doors wide enough to get out.

Anthony said...

wow thats a big car... my first car was a 1972 VW beetle, now that car could go anywhere....

Anonymous said...

That is totally hilarious. My first was a used 1973 Olds cutlass
same car, different name. You could pull tree stumps with this thing. On ice and snow it was a joke, I once slid down a 30% grade sideways at 40 mph, screaming like a woman in labor. Gas mileage was a
total hoot, I could sit idling at a traffic light and watch the needle on the gauge move towards empty. But it could plow thru farm
fields (not necessarily on purpose)
and pull Volkswagons out of ditches
or pass any car of today like it's
standing still. But thanks to the tree huggers we'll never see them again.

Buick said...

Nice blog post! Thanks for intesting info! More Buick can be found at http://www.auto-portal.us/

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...my first car as well. Looked more like a shark than a boat, but definitely a tank. I took it to college with me and remember trying to get a new set of points adjusted on the side of the road before a trip home. How many kids know how to set points anymore, or even what points are?