Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Back By Popular Demand: A New Beginning

Recently I've been contemplating the retirement of BanditTalks, not because I'm tired of writing or have nothing to say (far from the contrary) but more so because I feel as if I reached the end of the road in terms of issues I've been dealing with and things that BanditTalks has really helped me get through. Remember the days of me crying during snowstorms and listening to sad sappy music while I lament the past? I'm done with that!

Yet just as I was thinking of turning off the switch (click here to see a draft of the new WordPress Blog that I put together) I decided why ruin a good thing. Not that popularity matters but suddenly BanditTalks is averaging over 500 hits a day, something a while back I wouldn't think I could have gotten in a year! Then this morning sitting in my Inbox was a sweet little note from Digital T-Square wondering if Bandit lost me during one of our walks. Digital even threatened to put up an electric fence to contain me.

So I'm back...

Yet I've been doing a lot of thinking: I know I want to keep writing but what do I want to write? A blog? If so, what do I want this new format to be like? Or does it even have to be all that new? I'd like to say I write for my readers but to be perfectly honest, I'm too selfish. I write because I have something inside me to say; it's cathartic. I want to shy away from being too forth coming and personal yet still balance it with truth. Do I stay on BanditTalks or do I start something else?

Either way I guess it doesn't really matter. Besides most of the hits I get here are from Ryan Seacrest fans wondering if I really am (was) his gay lover. You'll have to ask him to find out. After all, there was that business trip last spring...
"Rick Bettencourt? No comment..."

Then I think about my book -- the 350-page novel that's taken me about 10 years (obviously not applied time) to write. It still needs work. Then driving around yesterday two characters came into my head for an entirely new story. I toyed around with the idea of writing up some character sketches. However, writing into a word processor everyday and not getting any immediate feedback is sort of like..well...masturbating. Sure it can be fun but you really want a partner. I get excited about Blogging. I love writing little 500-1,000 word snippets where I take the mundane and make it, what I'd like to think, interesting. Saving a story over and over into Word is tedious, long and sometimes boring.

How about a fictional blog? Hmmm...the building of a short-story, or perhaps even a book, on the Internet. That might be "novel" approach.

8 comments:

Donnie said...

Rick, I hope you don't stop blogging, because I truly enjoy reading about you and Bandit.

A change is good every once in a while (so I hear). Me, I'm just fine with the 'status quo'.

I liked the layout of the WordPress blog.

dbv said...

endless possibilities, my favorite kind!!

Will said...

People blog for many reasons. Mine was to learn about the incredible range and diversity of gay life and to make contact with gay men everywhere. i hover at around 140 hits a day--your 500 seems incredible to me. I guess I never developed a hook as powerful as Bandit--he's really adorable and I love it when he writes an entry.

I hope you don't ultimately decide to shut down. several blogs have closed when their writers got out of problematic times. I always thought, "well, we helped support you through the bad, why can't we have the payoff and get to celebrate the good with you?'" Just a thought.

How did Bandit feel about possibly losing a chance to post occasionally?

Maximus Leo said...

Rick - Blogs are started with a journey not knowing where it will go and whether people will read them and when it eventually reached maturity, that is when you know you have reached your journey. So if you decided to stop blogging, it is your decision but having said that you will be missed. For the last 365 days, i have been visiting your blog without fail (unless I am travelling!) and believe it or not I have use your experiences that you have shared with us and
apply it to my daily life (or at least I try anyway :-))

So all I can say - what ever you write in your blog - fictional or real, you will have at least one blogger visiting!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I visit the blogs on my list largely because I enjoy the writing and the "voice." I have to write for a living, but what I have to write couldn't be drier. I find many bloggers wonderfully creative (even the canine bloggers). I admit that at times it's a bit voyeuristic, but I tell myself it's really like Dickens (or Maupin) in serial form. I enjoy your blog and if it brings you pleasure (and I think good writers "exercise," and maybe the blog does it), I hope you continue.

Tom said...

I just stumbled on your blog today (in a link from "Pen and Ink"... I read through a couple of entries and visited the wordpress blog as well...

Where-ever you go, I will follow, I enjoy your choice of words and puntuation...

I started my blog just over a year ago and it has morphed along the way, nothing wrong with that! Just keep writing!

Tom

Albert said...

As they say in Newfoundland "Keep'er goin, Buddy!"

steve'swhirlyworld said...

Dang! 500 hits a day? I know that I'm getting limited comments on mine, and I'm always amazed when someone tells me something they read in my blog - I think most people don't comment - I must remember who I gave my blog address to :) Have a great weekend Rick!