Thursday, March 01, 2007

Living "This Life"

Slept like a baby last night. Sometimes I'll wake up at 3:00 and only fitfully rest until five or so. Last night was different. I did wake up, at 3:00, but about two minutes later I was out like a light again until my alarm went off at 5:30. I'm usually up before my alarm. Woke up fully rested! Anyway, enough of my boring sleeping habits.

God, Blogging is so narcissistic: "Look at me! Listen to me!" All the silly little things I do everyday. Oy vey! I must need my head examined for exposing myself so clearly. Then again every other Friday for $125...

See? There I go again. Anyway, onto today's topic...

Someone pointed out to me the other day that often people, in general, and this person threw me into the "general" category, never seem to be happy with where they are in life. Regardless of how much we have, we always strive for more. And she's right.

Back in my twenties, I used to be much more spiritual and not attached to worldly possessions or even people but as years went on I bought more into "this life" of living here on this earth and acted accordingly. I used to treat this life sort of like a dream - a spiritual being having a human experience. Both spiritual and somatic approaches have their pros and cons. It's just that now I've bought more into "this life", the somatic, and sometimes just need to take a step back and remind myself who I really am. I'm not Rick Bettencourt the 6' tall Analyst/Writer but some thing some one much more ethereal and infinite. As Kierkegaard put it, "once you label me, you negate me." It's good every so often to remind oneself of our deeper, truer nature.

I'm not a overly religious (i.e. Catholicism) person but I do consider myself deeply spiritual. So with my spirit I choose to live this life! And "this life".

As for that silly little anxiety dream I had the other night... the one about sending the VPs at work an e-mail with a small typo is really pretty insignificant. Then again in order to make it and get ahead in "this life" sometimes you need to strive for perfection. "This life" likes the fact that you at least try so hard and rewards you for doing so; hence the reason we go on seeking perfection.

Perfection is a high standard to hold yourself to. I guess you just have to accept the fact that it's unattainable.

11 comments:

Donnie said...

Yes, blogging is kinda "all about us". But on the other side, it helps as a catharsis.

Those are two great pics, Rick. You're such a cutie! ;)

Bruce said...

Rick,

The main problem with perfectionism is that we frequently use it as an excuse for inaction: I.e., If it isn't perfect, I don't want it; or, if I can't do it perfectly, I won't do it at all. It sometimes isn't an authentic striving for excellence, but rather a cover to protect ourselves from living. It's not so much simply being contented with what we have, but rather taking steps to improve our lives even though they still fall short of some absolute goal.

Maximus Leo said...

Totally agree with the fact that perfection is a high standard to hold oneself to and sometimes we just have to let go and accept that this may not be attainable. Once acceptance has been registered, we will see ourselves living spiritually!

Happy blogging!!

Joshua said...

Perfectly stated :)

Joshua said...

Perfectly stated :)

Joshua said...

Perfectly stated :)

Albert said...

Nice feeling to be rested!!

All I can say is do your best!!
Sometimes perfection, sometimes not, but satisfied.

digital t-square said...

I'm like you, I wake up at 3 and just wait until I have to get out of bed. It's taking a toll on me, my energy levels have plummeted.

Isn't a "blog" similar to an electronic diary? Inquiring minds want to know!

Spider said...

Someone in blog land said the other day - Perfection is for God, I will work for quality...

Sounds pretty good to me!

Will said...

Perfection is an elusive thing, the supposed ideal but it can also be cold, removed and dull. It is our human failings, quirks and lapses from perfection that make us individuals, capable of achievement and desirable.

Not that there's any danger, but I wouldn't want to be perfect; it's certainly not something to which I aspire. I want to be a good person, to support my friends and lovers, to contribute to society. But perfection would be a kind of living death.

steve'swhirlyworld said...

Cute pics :)