Friday, June 15, 2007

Gay Marriage is Here to Stay!


Gay Marriage is Here to Stay!

I feel normal. In someway, I feel as if my life has been legitimatized.

Yesterday Massachusetts' house members rejected an amendment that would have defined marriage in Massachusetts as only between a man and a woman.

From the Boston Globe: "In Massachusetts today, the freedom to marry is secure," Governor Deval Patrick told a cheering crowd of gay-marriage advocates after the results of the Constitutional Convention were announced. "Today's vote is not just a vote for marriage equality. It was a vote for equality itself."

In an Associated Press article, Jean Chandler, 62, of Cambridge, who celebrated yesterday's victory alongside members of her Baptist church, had this to say: ''I think being gay is like being left-handed. If we decided left-handed people couldn't marry, what kind of society would we be?"

Perhaps Maine be next?

Mitt Romney, our former Governor under which gay marriage went into effect, was quoted as saying it was a "regrettable set back" and will fight to pursue a federal ban. The bastard!

We need to fight for our rights. Voting on a "civil right" is not right! Last week saw the 40th Anniversary of Loving vs. Virginia, the historic Supreme Court case from 1967 that removed prohibitions against interracial marriages. In an effort to educate the community, a national LGBT organization, Freedom to Marry, has launched a provocative advertising campaign. Check it out.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesturday's vote was a huge step
not only for massachusetts but hopefully a step for other states to follow. I am proud to be a gay man and proud of the people of massachusetts. For I am allowed to marry freely and recieve the same rights as every other mass. citizen. Rick I Love you and I look to our future with such vigor. Here's to our mission statement. Your ND xoxoxoxoxo

Kevin said...

If this is your subtle way of asking me to marry you ... then yes, I will be the next Mr(s). BanditTalks. :)

Shaney said...

Applause for the step forward over there...I only wish the people of Aussieland were so forthcoming...xoxo

Anthony said...

welcome to the 21st century!!!!

Donnie said...

I look forward to the day when it's legal in all 50 states (and in the US Military) for two people of the same-sex to marry. *daydreams*

Steven said...

Good news to hear! Unless I just missed its coverage on the network news, I am somewhat disheartened that nothing was reported. But I guess I'm not surprised that this wasn't something worth covering. :-(