Monday, February 04, 2008

Upset!

Well the streets of Boston won't be traversed in celebration of a Patriot's victory party. As you most likely know by now the Patriots were defeated in their final game of the season. Oh well...life goes on.

Regardless of the upset, I had a good time at my sister and brother-in-law's house. We had lots of food, beer, wine... you name it. And of course Bandit was excited to be back there for the visit. For some reason he loves to bark over there. I hardly hear a peep out of him here, maybe because the apartment is so isolated, but when we go there he runs from room to room yelping. And it echoes throughout the whole house. It drives me crazy.

Anyway...

I didn't sleep well last night. No, not because I was wanting to coddle Tom Brady in his loss. Well, I was lusting for a Brady interference but that's a story for another day. Apparently the battery on the smoke alarm decided to die. At 2 o'clock in the morning it started emitting a loud and annoying series of three short little beeps. Now because there are four alarms in the apartment I couldn't tell which one was screaming. I got up and stared up at the ceiling waiting for some divine intervention to communicate with me. It stopped so I went back to bed.

Then again at 4 o'clock: beep, beep beep!

I got up and out of the ceiling literally ripped the alarm closest to where I thought the sound was coming. Then I took the carbon monoxide detector next to it out for good measure. I wasn't sure which one was beeping but didn't want to risk missing the irritating staccato.

I headed back to bed and wouldn't you know: BEEP, BEEP, BEEP! Naked, swearing and now running from room to room in search of the source of my insomnia I was yelling: "No it's coming from this direction, no over there, no here." Finally, in frustration, I realized it was coming from the one I ripped out of the ceiling and threw under the couch. I neglected to take the ailing battery out. I ripped it out and then flung it back on the floor.

I went back to bed for a bit but needless to say couldn't fall asleep so got up and now here I am. Frustration!

Anyway, it's the start of a new week. Two more full weeks and then a long weekend... no plans but it'll be nice to have a three day weekend. This weekend went by too fast.

2 comments:

Lemuel said...

When we moved to the new place the electricians talked us into "wireless" smoke detectors - networked to each other so that when one went off they all went off. Sounded good at the time. A few months ago the batteries went in one and it beeped its notification. Within seconds they all went off, full steam alarm, and I could not tell which one needed the battery. The pattern repeated over the next couple of days and in frustration I ripped them all down (took out the batteries) and replaced them with traditional (non-wireless) ones. Grrr....

Sorted Lives said...

Sorry to hear that. Like you, I would have wound up stayed up -- coffee, blogging. Hope you were able to stay awake...