Monday, April 28, 2008

Exploring My Creativity


I took Friday afternoon off. Seeing that I had planned it off anyway I decided to use up a half day from my four weeks of vacation of which I hadn't used any. I was glad I did.

I went to my eye doctor to get my glasses adjusted. The damn bridge was resting on my nose and driving me crazy. They also had a pair of contact lenses come in for me (about two months ago) that had been on backorder. I had been so busy I hadn't had a chance to get in there.

After a couple little errands I figured what better way to spend a nice sunny Friday afternoon then by exploring my creativity. So I dusted of my novel from the bottom draw of my file cabinet and set off to review it. Sitting by the beach in the warm spring sun I dove into my book. Yet after about ten minutes I came up depressed as a dog until I realized the date stamp of April 2003 (exactly five years ago) was way outdated. I knew I hadn't touched it in awhile but I didn't think it was that long ago. I knew I had made certain changes that just weren't showing.

Next up was to Kinko's where I got a copy of the latest version. For 336 pages, it cost me nearly $30 but well worth it. Since then I've been pouring over it. I'm about a third of the way through and so far so good. Obviously I haven't sat down with it cover to cover in eons.

On the topic of creativity...

A friend's boyfriend - now my friend - is an actor from New York. He has done some stuff at the North Shore Music Theater and what not. He sent me a script and wants me to read for a part that a friend of his - a playwright with connections to Edward Albee - wrote. The writer will be in Boston in a few weeks and wants to work-shop his new play. I haven't acted in so long. It's just a reading but is good for my creativity as well as connections.

All in all I had a good weekend.

Saturday I met up with some old friends. We took them to see the house and out to dinner.

Yesterday we spent Greek Easter with my brother-in-law's family. The food was delicious. I love to see people that are passionate about things. And my brother-in-law and his family have such a passion for cooking and great food. It shows in the results: excellent, excellent meals.

Me on the other hand: The extent of my passion for cooking is boiling up a dozen hard boiled eggs on Sunday so I have enough to throw in a bag for breakfast throughout the week. Although I must say last week I did make a decent salmon dish but it was easy, took me all of 15-20 minutes of applied time. But I wasn't enjoying the experience, just motivated by starvation.

Oh well.

3 comments:

afod said...

You must dish out the name of this novel you are giving such high acclaims for! I await with bated breath. Glad you had an enjoyable weekend all around. Boiled egg for breakfast every morn? Hmmm...

dit said...

What a nice weekend you had. I love anything creative. Congratulations on getting back to it. Keep it up.

Charles said...

Sounds nicew been working on The Mirror and Nothing More lately, so I know what you mean about the creativity thing. It feels great.