Monday, April 07, 2008

Nim's Island: Fun Not Just for Kids


This weekend I went to see Nim's Island. What a fun, good-hearted movie. Jodie Foster, Gerard Butler and Abigail Breslin were fantastic. Not only is this a movie parents can feel safe in bringing their children to but also one that this 41 year old loved.

What I liked about Nim's Island was the balance it held between fantasy and reality. I was able to suspend my disbelief, sit back and truly enjoy without thinking about the film's far-fetched ideas. I don't recall the last time a pelican intuited the needs of a stranded boater and delivered a set of tools for him to repair his damaged craft yet somehow, in this film, none of that mattered.

I enjoyed watching an agoraphobic Foster comically struggle with her fears as I whole heartedly laughed at her follies. It's been so long since we've seen her in non-serious role.

One could say Nim's Island was contrived, the plot at times see through but who cares: It's fun to sit back and be entertained. Isn't that what fiction is all about?

2 comments:

afod said...

Sounds like a good movie to see. Thanks for the reviews. The only other non-serious role that I remember Jodie Foster being in was "Freaky Friday." That was from the mid-70's? OUCH!

Hot Toddy said...

I haven't even heard of this movie. Thanks for the recommendation!