Monday, May 05, 2008

A Day in Boston

Yesterday I went to Fenway Park to see the Red Sox beat the Tampa Bay Rays 7-3.

It was a cold, wet and raw day with highs of about 47. Being that I have been getting over a stomach bug I wore many layers including gloves and a winter parka. I wasn't going to let the cold deter my enjoyment of the game. I was glad I bundled up: when others around me were shivering cold I was snuggled up in my big winter coat (thank you Lands' End for my comfy Winter Squall).

After cheering to Youkilis' homer, singing Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline - "so good, so good, so good" - and doing the wave, we took the T to the North End for a fabulous dinner at G'vanni's on Prince Street. This place is a little hole in the wall but the meal was fabulous. The bruschetta was to die for and we had a fantastic bottle of zinfandel. The pasta was fresh and my chicken parmigiana was very good. In fact, there was so much that I still have some left over for lunch. I'll definitely go back to try this place again.

I love walking the streets of the North End. It's so quaint with the cobblestones, old buildings, parks and ethnic charm. Since they've taking down the central artery (Boston's Big Dig) it actually makes crossing into it, from Haymarket or North Station, enjoyable. Whereas before it was a nightmare.

Being in town yesterday made me realize how much I need to do it more.

Well, that was my weekend. Saturday I stayed in nursing my stomach bug. I was supposed to go to a family gathering on the South Shore but I didn't want to travel too far from the facilities (if you know what I mean). Besides I knew I was going to the game on Sunday and wanted to rest up.

Now the work week begins. Oh joy.

5 comments:

afod said...

Despite missing out on the family gathering, I'm glad that the weekend turned out to be an enjoyable one for you. Here's to a Monday back to normal!

Faux Pas blog said...

I'm so jealous. Boston is such a great city! I've only been there a couple of times. The other day, at dinner a friend asked me if I'd ever been to the North End. And I replied, "you mean like Salem?" I'm such a dork.

Maddog said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Also good to know that the Red Sox won. I've become quite the fan since I moved to NYC. Hope you are getting a little of the weather up there that we have been having. Of course with my foot I wouldn't mind the 47 degree rain.

Greg said...

The stomach bug (and the prospect of being cold) would have kept me from the game. Though I do love Boston. And baseball players.

dit said...

Glad you are feeling better. The game sounds like fun. Your post brings back memories, as a kid I would go into Boston with my Grandparents. Take care.