Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Moving In: Almost There


Well good progress is being made as my stint with apartment living dissipates. Over the last few days I have been packing and making trips to the new house with boxes, books and small furniture. It's finally starting to feel like home. Friday movers will be coming (yes, I broke down and dished out the dough) for them to get the big stuff.

Yesterday we began to clean the new house. The contractors have pretty much finished the third floor master suite and second floor. It took nearly four hours to clean the master bath. Between the filth of the prior owners and the dust from the plasterer in patching the walls, it took forever. Plus I wanted to scour it, especially the Jacuzzi tub. The thought of sitting in there with someone else's "short and curlies" would have sent me over the edge. I found a recipe online to clean and sterilize the jets - a half a cup of bleach and a tablespoon of Cascade dishwasher powder with hot water on high for 15 minutes, rinse and repeat with just cold water.

Today the painter should be done with the second floor bath and will then begin painting the first floor.


Busy day ahead: First, I'm stopping off at my sister's to borrow her power washer. I want to clean the porches. The landscaper is coming at 8 to give an estimate on thatching and turning over the lawn (we have grubs). Unfortunately he has no availability to mow so we borrowed a lawn mower to cut the foot high grass. The appliances are arriving from GE between 11 and 3. I'm looking forward to seeing the kitchen finally become functional. My plumber buddy is coming tomorrow to hook them up: connect the gas for the oven, get the ice maker running on the fridge, install the dishwasher, washer and dryer.


With all this hard work one needs to relax. My vacation is not without fun. Last night I went to this restaurant called Porto Bello in Wakefield. Fabulous! They have an interesting mix of both Portuguese and Italian cuisine. The atmosphere is very European, service impeccable and food just delicious. Being that I'm Portuguese I had to try the house special, a seafood dish of mussels, calamari, scallops, oysters and clams in a classic Portuguese stew served with a bed of saffron rice. There was so much I couldn't finish it all.

And there's more fun. Tomorrow I'm going to Out at the North Shore - gay and lesbian night (then again what theater night isn't) - to see The Producers at the North Shore Music Theater. Also my brother will be flying in for a long weekend. I haven't seen him since Thanksgiving.

All and all vacation life is busy but good. Over and out!

Rick

P.S. Bandit would say hello but he's still under the warmth of the covers. Last night I got a little air conditioner happy now the apartment is like a fridge.

7 comments:

Maddog said...

Good to hear everything is going so well with the move. Just be patient and in no time you'll be all settled in.

Marc Acito said...

Congratulations and good luck. Keep in mind that from now on, you sleep in your house but you live at the hardware store.

dit said...

I am so excited for you. It sounds beautiful. Think you'll be happy you hired movers for the big stuff. Thanks for the update. Great photos too.

Greg said...

Fantastic info about the house. I'm glad things are going well and that soon you and Bandit will be living the good life. Especially with a jacuzzi tub!!

Anonymous said...

you are so self absorbed and selfish.

afod said...

Glad to hear that things are moving along for you with the house. The "short and curlies?" Ewwwwwwwwww!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

what a 2 dementionaol self glorified reality you live LOL