Wednesday, June 04, 2008
Apartment Up in Smoke
Well as fate would have it my move did not go without a hitch. All is now fine; I'm in my new home without too much of a loss but what a week.
Last Thursday, the day before my scheduled move, the building next to my apartment broke out into a 10-alarm fire (see link...it made headline news all over). Due to safety reasons they evacuated all 1,000 residents of my complex. Luckily I didn't suffer any extensive issues just a major inconvenience and a little water damage to some of my stuff - the firefighters had to hose down my building so as not to ignite as well.
What a mess! A big cluster____. The officials are trying to blame a cigarette that supposedly caught some mulch on fire and ran up the side of the building but I don't buy it. I think it was a gas leak. This is the second fire the complex has had in a year!
I'm just thankful no one, save a few pets, were seriously injured.
When it happened I was at the new house having appliances installed. I had to rush back and break in through the back woods in order to get Bandit. The police wouldn't let me into the complex. I was a nervous wreck but Bandit was fine just a little shaken up.
Well, I don't have Internet access yet at the new house: I'm at the library checking e-mails and what-not but figured I'd post a quick update.