Friday, July 25, 2008

Tipping and Stupidity

I just saw a video on YouTube that Maddog posted on his site which got me to thinking about a couple of things.

Tipping.

I dine out on a regular basis, at least once or twice a week. My policy on tipping is 15% for bad service, 10% for really bad service and 20+% for excellent service. Watching this video about someone upset because their waiter was mad at them for leaving 5% on what appeared to be decent service is appalling. 5%! The waiter doesn't even make minimum wage. Tipping is what they live on. If you can't "afford" the tip then you should have thought of that before ordering that second cocktail or the pricey filet mignon.

The other thing about this video that disturbs me is the stupidity.

How can people be so ignorant and irresponsible? Her alluding to the fact that it was an all Caucasian place - who cares? What's that got to do with anything?

I guess if anyone's been ignorant it's me to this country's racist divide.

2 comments:

afod said...

It's instances like that that I usually tip on average about 30%. And when I'm in a GLBT establishment, it's even higher.

Anthony said...

well, if it is really bad service then they do not really deserve the tip as they haven't really earned it. I worked in a restaurant during schools and you would be surprised at what people would leave! good or bad service!