Sunday, August 17, 2008

Central Mass


Yesterday I spent a good part of the day in Central Massachusetts. My ex's family lives there. No, I wasn't there to see them. I was at a friend's gathering.

The party was literally in the backyard of a restaurant that my former in-laws, the ex and I would often frequent. I used to love the restaurant. Although the last time I went the quality of food and service was not as good. That was about five years ago.

Don't get me wrong: I wasn't all that weirded-out being in the area. The past is the past. Parting was the best thing for us; however, family attachments - blood or not - run deep. That being said, I'd have to admit I do miss them a bit.

It's funny how certain things trigger a memory. I hadn't realized till yesterday how localized a scent could be. The smell of Worcester County's damp thick woods brought me right back to my ex's parents' house. With their windows open you could smell the woods in the backyard. Back then I thought the smell was unique to their house not to the area.

God so long ago. Yet still close to home.

1 comment:

afod said...

It's amazing what the power of smell can trigger sometimes. "Ties" can be one of the hardest things about a separation/divorce. Things may go downhill for one person, but that doesn't mean that things automatically go downhill with everyone else. I have plenty of friends who are still very close with their former in-laws.