Thursday, August 14, 2008

Summer Rains in Boston

This summer has been very rainy. Yesterday was the first time in a long time that we didn't have some sort of shower throughout the day. Unfortunately I was inside all day in meetings but heard it was a gorgeous day in the high 70s.

With all this rain, the grass is very green and sprouting like crazy. Thank God I got my sump pump fixed. The ground is so saturated; it never has time to dry out.
A broccoli patch, at Green Meadows Farm in Hamilton, Massachusetts (Matthew Viglianti Salem News)

The other day a friend of mine was commenting how she likes her grass brown so that she doesn't have to mow it. Well this year she's out of luck. It's been one the rainiest on record. It's rained nearly every day in August and 15 days in July.

Next year I'm hooking my sprinkler system up to my sump pump and reusing the ground water to hydrate my lawn. Seriously. Why use town water when the ground water around here is so plentiful. This year I haven't even turned on the sprinkler system: 1) I know there's a couple broken heads from the prior owner and probably a few busted lines and 2) there's been no need.

What else is new? Not a whole heck of a lot.

I've been trying to catch the Olympics before going to bed at night but haven't managed too much. The swimming has been on too late. I've seen volleyball, gymnastics and synchronized diving. It's fun but with my work schedule I can't keep my eyes open.

3 comments:

Charles said...

My dad installed a well in the backyard to help lower the water bill. Every little bit helps Rick!

afod said...

I hope you're able to enjoy better summer weather before the impending arrival of Fall. We could use more rain here.

Anonymous said...

Hey, brown grass isn't pretty but it saves on the energy it takes to mow it. By the way have ya notice the trees are starting to turn.....into fall colors...sad..