Saturday, August 30, 2008

Vacation Here I Am

Source: Monster.com

I am on vacation. Woo hoo!

Yesterday was my last day in the office till September 9th. Much needed R&R. The last time I had off was because my apartment complex caught on fire and I was moving. I don't call that a relaxing vacation. Plus I remember I had pulled my back from lifting all the boxes - not fun.

This time will be different. I get to spend time in my house just putzing around - doing nothing and then spend a little time up in Maine which I mentioned before. Right now I'm just enjoying my early Saturday morning with my coffee and listening to Bandit yapping at something in the yard.

What's up for today? I have a list of things I need to today like breakfast with a friend, pick up dry cleaning, get the Honda an oil change, get 9 volt batteries for the smoke detectors so they don't keep going off (driving me nuts) and so on and so forth. I know it doesn't sound like a fun vacation thing to do but I enjoy doing my little errands.

Went out to dinner for the first time this week. Last night I had a delicious cheeseburger at the 99 Restaurant. This place has gotten better over the last few years. They went through a down spell a few years back. That was around the time I got a piece of plastic fitting in my chicken, broccoli and ziti.

What else...

I need to get some landline phones. I have the triple play with Comcast which gives me a free phone line which I can never remember the number to. I never use it mostly because the two phones I have are corded pieces of junk that I bought at Walgreens 2 for $10. You're better off talking into a tin can with a string attached. I'm looking at the Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless system which they sell at BJ's Wholesale - 5 phones for $125. That'll give me one for the kitchen, downstairs sitting room, great room, office and master bedroom. Plus I suppose I could leave the shitty Walgreens' specials in the spare bedrooms. With a good set of house phones, I won't have to keep using my cell phone minutes.

So what do you think of McCain's pick, Sarah Palin, for Vice President? I think it was a smart move on his part. At first I was surprised he didn't go for Romney but now I can see why he's picked her: She's young, vivacious, smart, a conservative and of course a women. As for her take on gays, shortly after taking office in Alaska, she vetoed legislation that would have prevented the state from providing benefits to the same-sex partners of state employees. However, she is opposed to same-sex marriage but has stated she has gay friends and is sympathetic to discrimination.

As for the Obama camp, I saw Bill Clinton's speech on Wednesday and was impressed. God that man is a good speaker. I missed Hillary's and Obama's speeches but hear they were equally as good. I'm gearing up for the debates that's when you can see who's really ready for the job.

By the way, a couple of weeks ago I registered to vote as an Independent.

2 comments:

peter said...

When you think that those 25 days are only the working days in the Netherlands, you can add another 10 days for the weekends. That's one of the reasons the Dutch love to have 3 vacations a year.

Charles said...

I have 3 months of vacation.

Rick, you may not agree with me, but I do not care for McCain or his vice president pick. I've seen enough in the last 8 years. It's time for change. I can't wait to see the outcome of this election.