Saturday, September 06, 2008

Back from Maine


A yup. I am back from my visit to Maine. I spent a night in Portland which is a fun city, Camden/Rockland beautiful area and finally two nights in Bar Harbor/Acadia an area in which I love.

I'm in the process of downloading over 175 pictures. Once I get them done I'll post a few snapshots.

My favorite part of the trip was a visit by mailboat to a small island community called Islesford (or Little Cranberry island). What an amazing village. It has 74 people that live there year round. In the summer the population "swells" to about 200. I spent over three hours walking the streets, talking to the locals, taking pictures and visiting the museum. The only stores open were a sea glass shop and the general store which closed at 1. (We managed to sneak in just prior to to pick up an iced tea.)

It was such a unique experience talking to people that have lived on this small desolate island their entire lives and hardly ever leave. It was the most amazing experience. It was almost like being in a foreign country.

Anyway, just wanted to post a quick one to let you know I am back. Over and out...

Rick

P.S. Bandit's back too and says hello.

2 comments:

Will said...

Great country up there--I have friends who run a B&B in Northeast Harbor and like to drive up slowly, hitting the antique barns and checking out the local chowders on the way up and back. Glad you had a good time, Rick.

afod said...

It is beautiful up there. I bet on Islesford not a single resident locks his/her doors. Glad you had a great time and I am looking forward to the pics.