Sunday, September 21, 2008

Maine Vacation

I finally was able to download my pictures from my camera. Here are a few snapshots from my trip to Maine...

Storefront, Downtown Portland

We started in Portland, then up to Thomaston and finally to Bar Harbor -- the setting for my book.

Cobblestone Alleyway, Portland

As mentioned, part of my trek to Maine was to discover an island in which to base material for my novel. This one piqued my interest...



Yet it wasn't quite right. However, this one really piqued my interest...



That my friends, is the captain of the mailboat that took me over to Islesford (Little Cranberry Island). Gorgeous!





Islesford is a small island off the coast of Mount Desert Island, Maine -- near Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor. The year-round population on Little Cranberry Island (aka Islesford) is about 75 people. I'm told in the summer it "swells" to 200. It was the day after Labor Day; there wasn't much open.


The neighborhood house that held "movie night" was a showing some real current films. Everything about this island was like traveling back a few decades.


Yet I found it's weather-beaten ambiance quite beautiful.







And its modes of transportation unique...








There are more but for now that will have to do. Over and out...

Rick
Firing My Cannon at Penobscott Narrows

9 comments:

claire said...

gorgeous, all. especially that captain!

Anonymous said...

Wow!

You are cute!

Charles said...

Looks like a nice trip! Thanks for sharing Rick.

Faux Pas blog said...

Cool pics, thanks for sharing!

tornwordo said...

Great pics, and my what a big cannon you have ; )

"Just David!" said...

Will the captain be featured in your novel? And if so, preferably in a man on man scene. Ha!

Greg said...

What an awesome trip! O captain, my captain....

afod said...

Great photos, including some eye candy. It looks like the weather was very cooperative for your trip. That last photo gave me quite a chuckle!

Maddog said...

I'm jealous. All I saw when I was in Maine was lesbians. And they are not nearly as fun to look at as the captain of the boat.