Monday, October 20, 2008

A Little Bit of Creative Loafing by the Fire

I'm a creative loafer, a phrase deemed by author and entrepreneur Jerry Gillies. My mind needs time to ponder. The more I sit around doing what sometimes appears to be nothing the better off I am in the long run.

I need time for an idea to fester and flourish. This is done by contemplating it whilst doing something mundane or driving along the ocean or just sitting at the beach looking out at the water.

This weekend I spent a couple of hours in front of the fireplace reading a good book. I needed it. It felt restorative. I need to remind myself to loaf more; otherwise I burn out.

Anyway...

I woke up this morning to close the chimney flue and there were still hot embers amongst the ashes so I left the flue open. I was surprised that the fire lasted so long.

I've spent a small fortune on little bundles of wood at Home Depot. I'm finally having a cord delivered this afternoon. It's not cheap ($275) but it was the best I could find.

I also got a space heater. Instead of firing up the furnace to heat my office I throw on this little heater. It works well.

Well, that's it for now. Have a great week!

Rick

2 comments:

afod said...

We somehow shared the same kind of weekend had where there was absolutely nothing to do and then spent time by our respective shorelines. Here's to more loafing! Or should that be plural - loaving? ;-)

Maddog said...

I'm glad you decided to take some time for yourself. And it sounds like it did you a world of good.