Sunday, November 09, 2008

Am I Blue

Blue Man Group has been around for years. When I lived in New York (ca. 1992) I had the opportunity to see it when it first came out. Yet it wasn't till last night that I finally got around to seeing it. And I loved it!

Blue Man Group is the one of the most bizarre forms of theater I have seen to date. The commercialization of it, which dissuaded me over the past decade or so from seeing it, does no justice. Blue Man Group breaks the third wall - that ethereal barrier between audience and actor - with brilliance. It's interactive, funny and entertaining. And while there's really no plot to follow each one of the "Blues" has unique characteristics that endear you to them.

I was one of the first picked out of the audience to partake in the fun. I went home with blue stains on my hands from one of the actors holding up my hand as the audience cheered for my getting 3 out of 3 pieces of chocolate into the mouth of one of the Blues. He later spit them back out in my palm; quickly followed by a stage hand bringing me a sterilized wipe. It was all in the name of fun and I enjoyed myself.

4 comments:

Charles said...

Sounds like fun! Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself!

tornwordo said...

I've never seen them, partly because I can't comprehend what it is. I'll have to check it out next time they're here.

Less Confused said...

I saw a lot of advertising for them when I was in Vegas a few years ago, but never understood what it was.

Now I'm thinking I'd like to get back there and see them. Sounds interesting.

afod said...

You mean you didn't scream, "Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!" when he spit it out as you retracted your arm toward your side? ;-)

They've been in Chicago forever and I have yet to see them.