Thursday, November 06, 2008

Lucid Dreaming

I slept well last night. I did wake up around 1, after going to bed around 10, but fell right back to sleep. Usually when I wake up in the middle of the night I have a hard time falling back. I start thinking about work and all the things I need to do. It usually stresses me out and then I can't fall back.

A couple of nights ago at 3:30 am I was reminded of an e-mail that I forgot to send out. I could feel my blood pressure rising and the anxiety boiling. Not a good way to spend your night. When that happens I try to meditate and let go of all my concerns. Sometimes it works and I drift off into dreamland.

On those occasions I often have bizarre dreams just before waking up.

Do you ever have lucid dreams? Lucid dreams are those dreams that are so real you swear you're awake. Mine are often accompanied by a rush in my head - like an electrical storm of activity. At that point I then know I'm dreaming but am frozen in my own body and can't wake up. The first time this happened to me, when I was a teenager, I thought I was having a seizure in my sleep. It's the most bizarre feeling. The dream will then become something I can control: I paint the canvas, design the setting and usually wind up flying at incredible speeds across my newly created landscape. It's actually quite fun. When I finally wake up I have an incredibly rested feeling.

I haven't had a lucid dream in awhile. I usually have one about once or twice a month.

Last night was just a regular old sleeping night but restorative nonetheless.

1 comment:

afod said...

I can't think of many night where I have NOT dreamed. Sometimes I think the dreams exhaust me when I should be resting and I wake up groggier than most mornings. The night before last was a vivid dream about needing to borrow a taxicab for some reason and in the process the police were called after me and thugs were shooting at the cab. Egads!