Saturday, December 27, 2008

Day 5 of My Vacation

The "Newly Renovated" North Shore Mall of Peabody

Liberty Tree Mall of Danvers' Sign Has Seen Better Days

Here on the North Shore we have dueling malls: The North Shore Mall and the Liberty Tree Mall. They're literally a mile from each other but in separate towns.

I was surprised how little the malls were crowded. I had to go to JC Penney (NS Mall) to return my slippers because they were too small then over to the Liberty Tree Mall in Danvers to exchange a sweater. God, that mall has gotten trashy. It used to have some really nice stores like Structure and others. Now aside from the anchor stores (Best Buy, Target, Nordstrom Rack, Sports Authority and Pier One), it's pretty much the Liberty Trash Mall. Maybe it's the economy and I should cut them some slack.

Speaking of Nordstrom, I talked about them back in 2006 when they broke ground at the North Shore Mall in Peabody. Well, they're almost ready to open - spring of 2009. That mall has been completely renovated and looking good.

I used to be such a mall brat. Hanging out at the weekends. Knowing each and every store. In fact, I used to work there in the 80s. Now if I go 3 or 4 times a year that's pushing it.

Anyway back to my vacation day...

After spending most of the day shopping, we came back home and took Bandit for a walk. We then decided on trying a new restaurant that earlier this year opened in Salem. It's called 62 on Wharf. Let me tell you...it was fabulous! I had one of the best appetizers I have ever eaten - the chickpea fritters. They had this wonderful date dressing that was just scrumptious. It's a little pricey (~$25 an entree) but worth it. The atmosphere is lovely. The owner even came out to meet us. We had been referred from Salem Wine Imports. She told us she has been getting quite a few people coming in from his wine tastings.

We then came home and I talked on the phone with Phyllis for about an hour. She's going to San Fran for the week on conference - lucky her.

Anyway, that's about it. Over and out...

Rick

P.S. Bandit would say hi but he's begging at the foyer closet for his basketball.

5 comments:

Peter said...

That meal sounded good! Is the chef related to you?

afod said...

Still nothing to report on your writing, eh? In regards to Liberty Tree Mall, I think a mall has seen its days when a dollar store takes occupancy. That seems to be the sure sign. Enjoy your weekend!

Rick said...

No relation but great last name huh?

Will said...

I discovered Nordstrom several years ago on a visit to San Francisco and am delighted they're opening into the area.

When I was living in Boston I was about three miles from the Dedham Mall and watched it become a ghost town except for Sears. Malls are never my favorite places, but when they fall into decline they're truly unbearable.

Hope you guys have a great New Years!

Anonymous said...

Liberty Tree Mall is where all the teen moms go. It was worse in the late 1990s(circa Ann and Hope days)..
North Shore mall kicks ass..they now have Zara and Lush. I am in 7th Heaven!!
sramirez
www.realtybs.com