Saturday, January 03, 2009

Day 12 of My Vacation

Yesterday Bandit and I stood outside in the cold for over an hour and watched a 200 year old church (Salem's First Baptist Church) being moved from its foundation.

I'd been following the progress over the past few months and was excited to be off the day it happened.

The city of Salem is in the process of expanding the courthouse. Instead of tearing down the historic structure (Salem is pretty good at preservation) they decided to move the church and incorporate it in the plans: They'll be using the old church as a new law library.




2 comments:

afod said...

Thank you for providing the link. As the rep to our HPC, it's good to get ideas on costs based on distance moved and the prep work involved.

Will said...

Moving any building always fascinates me but the delicacy and difficulty of moving a masonry structure is something beyond my comprehension. thanks for these pictures.