Saturday, January 24, 2009

Wine Expo

"I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep."
- George Best
This weekend I am in Boston for the Wine Expo. I bought tickets for me...I mean C...for Christmas. (At least he was nice enough to take me along.)

I haven't been to the Wine Expo in years. I think the last time I went was in 1999. So it'll have been a good decade since I've experienced an afternoon of tasting delicious wines from all over the world.

Hiccup!

We decided to make a night of it. We'll be staying here, formerly the Ritz-Carlton. The rooms is supposed to be splendid - a garden suite overlooking Boston's Public Gardens and replete with a fireplace butler, someone to tend to our fire.

In this Great Recession I probably wouldn't be spending the money on a 5-star luxury hotel for one evening 25 minutes from the house had it not been for a friend with inside connections. I've spent more per night at the Hampton Inn. We'll also be using a gift certificate we got for Christmas at a great Italian place in the North End.

A bit of frugality for a luxurious fun-filled weekend.

4 comments:

Peter said...

Have a great time!

The bad thing of good wine tasting is that you have to spit it out...

Ur-spo said...

how fabulous!
I used to study wine, and I still like to read about it and drink when I can.

Please post your findings!

Summer said...

Sounds like fun. We have great wine tours in the Finger Lakes region in New York state.

Steven said...

I hope you guys had yourselves a fantabulous time and enjoyed the overnight stay. :-)