Monday, March 09, 2009

Getting Lost with Lola

Yesterday we had to go to Franklin, Massachusetts for a birthday party. For whatever reason, every time we go there we get lost. To a normal person, it takes about an hour and a half to get there from the North Shore. Us. Three hours. I take no responsibility for my misguidance. I blame the GPS -- affectionately known as Lola.

I finally admit it. The $300 I spent on this supposed "state of the art" system was a waste! For one, she likes to take the back roads and loves to go to Boston first before setting her coordinates. While driving through the city she thinks she can avoid congestion by taking you off the beaten path but in this area there are so many old cow paths she seemingly can't keep up. After you have passed a turn she wanted you to take you hear her indicate "bing, bing, right turn". After the fact...no warning...nothing. It'll appear as if she wants you to turn into an alley. Then she'll yell, "make a legal U turn at the next opportunity." I realized she had completely lost it when driving down the highway, usually the only times she's good, with no apparent exits in sight she indicated "bing, bing, make a left now."

I think Lola has reached her life's span. At the ripe old age of 2 she needs to be recycled. Next time I'm printing out Mapquest.

6 comments:

A Lewis said...

Lola? Didn't Barry Manilow write about her?

tornwordo said...

How about an old fashioned map?

Anonymous said...

Love my Garmin...and he loves me. The only man I know that that never misleads me.

Ur-spo said...

I still hold the Title "Mapmaster" in our house. And don't question me when I tell you to go right....

Billy said...

I'm a total Techno geek, so not one, but two GPS thingy's. A mobile Garmin (Ethel) and one built into the car (Miss Marple - Very british accent). But you're right, they tend to take you all over the place.

Clicked trough from Lewis - will visit again.

Summer said...

We have a Garmin named Kim named after the Aussie dancer Kim on DWTS and so far she's not let us down. We'll be using her in Manhattan soon so we'll see how she does.