Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Camping VW Style


This weekend I'm going camping. Friends of ours collect Volkswagen Vanagons. (Gay men without children or pets have the strangest of hobbies.) They are letting us borrow one of their buses and the four of us are going to caravan up to Maine and stay in the vans.

The vans actually pretty neat. They are equipped with their own little kitchens and pullout beds. They've put a lot of work into them and restored to mint condition. They picked them up on eBay or Craiglist for next to nothing, low mileage and bought all original equipment to completely gut and refurbish. When visiting one time last year, they had one of the vans' interior, right down to the metal, completely striped. The dashboard was taken out; even the gas and brake pedal caps were off. Denis put every inch of it back together. He's quite talented. (Not only is he a good friend, I also hire him to do projects around my house.)

I'm looking forward to going. Especially now that I can go: Up until yesterday with work projects impeding upon this weekend, it was touch and go but as of now it looks as if I'll be able to make it.

We're going to Hermit Island. I've never been. It'll be a fun, new adventure. The location is perfect. As you may recall, I like to experience various islands of Maine in research for my book. Hermit Island isn't technically an island for there is a spit of land that connects it to the mainland.


Unfortunately the campground does not except dogs so we have a friend housesitting. Bandit's alright with that. He loves Uncle Jeff and besides we're taking Bandit up to Maine in September. We've rented a cottage up in Bar Harbor for the week of Labor Day.

Anyway, over and out...

6 comments:

Lemuel said...

oooo! take me along! Puleeaazz! I lovez Maine!

A Lewis said...

Sounds lovely and a perfect way to spend a summer weekend. As for the camping in the VW vans....we have some friends who used to take us regularly.....

Ur-spo said...

they have lobsters in Maine, tell as many people as you can in town.

savante said...

Hermit Island! How appropriate! Cute name!

Will said...

I think Bandit is very Bar Harbor. Whether Hermit Is. or Bar Harbor, you guys have a great time!

Charles said...

Have fun Rick! Take in the scenery whatever it might it be.