Thursday, July 16, 2009

Squabbling Neighbors

Last night we attended a meeting at city hall for the board of appeals. A developer is putting up a two-family across the street and wanted a variance. We wanted to make sure everything was done correctly so as not to impede upon the tight parking in the area. All was fine but the real drama wasn't in our appeal but the one we had to sit through before hand.

Neighbors bitching! I don't understand how people can live next to each other with such vehement detest. Move!

This one-lady got up and read a plea to the board about how she's been living in this small house for 20 years - a 600 square foot home. She was denied the right to build onto the property to her right so now she just wanted to build up. I felt bad for her. She couldn't afford to move elsewhere but loved her home. When the floor came open to the public, there were throngs of support until the abutter - some portly bitter woman, got up and lambasted the petitioner because the development would impede her water view and breeze. But instead of sticking to facts she started spouting how the lady was a spinster, had no need for additional space. She didn't have a boyfriend, there's never been children there in 20 years. There was no need for her to expand.

Fortunately the board approved her construction. I was out in the hall afterward and as she was leaving she was crying and thanking her attorney.

Neighborhood dynamics.

6 comments:

Lemuel said...

I am happy to hear that the older woman was able to get her variance. The tirade of the neighbor is symbolic to me of the level to which our logic and discourse has sunk in general in our world. Frequently we no longer stay on topic, but bring in extraneous and irrelevant details as if they should strengthen our argument.

BTW, I apologize for letting your blog get out of my radar. Thanks for stopping by and giving me a reminder.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like somebody needs an enema. (btw, I grew up in 600 square feet shared with 3 other people, so I'm not buying "cramped", but it is her right to build).

indavao said...

hi... just dropping by!
http://www.fileafro.com
http://mobileandetc.blogspot.com
http://kantahanan.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I understand people who decide to live on an island. I can't stand my new neighbors and put my house on the market two days after they moved in. They're loud, sloppy and rude. I hope my house sells soon!!! It's too bad, because the rest of the neighborhood is very nice and quiet. Good luck with your neighbors.

Ur-spo said...

I don't admire their job - people are such whining children at times. You would think people would realize good presentation, facts and 'delivery' would win the day.
Now that I write this, I realize people have learned bitching and bellowing DOES work, so why change?

People are afraid to set limits and 'sound bad' to say stop that to bellowers, alas.

Steven said...

Ahhh. The joys of being a village planner. Most communities have to send notices to surrounding property owners about the petition filed so we get the phone calls from those "portly bitter women" even before the hearing takes place. But I love putting them in their place when I will tell them that that is not a valid reason.