Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sans Merchandise

This past weekend we finally bought curtains for the bedroom and master bath. They were the only rooms that didn't have window treatments (aside from blinds). We got a good deal at J.C. Penney and then found some decent rods over at Target.

Sunday night we put up the bathroom curtains but the rods we got for the bedroom were too short. No problem. Being that I work local and am near the malls I said I'd return them during the week, at lunch.

Monday rolls along and I am out for my morning jog, going through my mental list of to-dos. I reminded myself, that before leaving the house to be sure and get the curtain rod slip out of my receipt jar so that I could swing by Target at lunch.

Last minute, running late for work and saying goodbye to Bandit and just before setting the alarm I remembered the receipt.

Several hours later at work there I sit finagling my schedule so that I can run to Target. As is typical someone booked a lunch time meeting with me. "Shit." But then my 11 o'clock freed up. "Well, I can take an early lunch and swing by the Target." By the time I got out of my 10 o'clock and checked a few emails it was 11:15 -- still enough time to run down to the mall, exchange and get back for my noon. (Don't worry...actually eating lunch is saved for the middle of meetings.)

By the time I got out to the car is was 11:20.

I start driving when it hits me. The curtain rods. "Damn!" They're still sitting against the wall by the garage door. "Son of a..." Luckily I realized this before I got to the store. I had to laugh as I had visions of myself with my receipt in hand sans merchandise going up to the cashier: "Your return policy states I must have my receipt. What about the merchandise?"

7 comments:

Charles said...

I've had days like that where you set something up so you won't lose it and then you end up losing it or better yet are the days when you have something really important going on and everything and everybody gets in the way.

A Lewis said...

I know this isn't a particular post about Target, but have I told you about the brand new giant Target opening on October 11 near us? Oh boy...more chances to spend money....and to leave our merchandise behind.

Lemuel said...

What a hoot! That sounds like something I would do! I do like your conclusion - the policy only states that you must have the receipt, not the merchandise. I see a new "cottage industry" blooming: going through peoples garbage for receipts to return. ;)

tornwordo said...

A truly "doh!" moment.

Steven said...

I run into that every now and then as well. I try to put things in the most obvious of locations so that I won't forget (like in the car) and when I look at the familiar spot in the house and don't find what I'm looking for, the house gets torn apart. :-)

"Just David!" said...

brain farts...

i have whole days like that!

dit said...

Awe, I hate it when that happens. lol