Saturday, October 03, 2009

Hold On...I Think I Have a Coupon for That

I take great pleasure in saving money.

Coming home from work yesterday, I greeted Bandit and immediately noticed the chill in the air. The house was 59 degrees. Yet I refused to turn on the heat. (Instead Bandit and I went for a walk; besides I think it was warmer outside.)

When I got back, I bundled up in a sweatshirt. I told myself I wouldn't turn on the heat till October. Yet while October has arrived I'm still not ready (maybe tonight).

Lately I've been following the advice of The Coupon Queen (keep your comments to yourself) in my local paper: Buy on sale and with a coupon.

I look forward to clipping coupons from the Sunday paper. I even have a little coupon organizer (that I got a dollar cheaper on eBay than what they wanted on the main web site). I clip it to my carriage as we traipse the aisles. I'm constantly stopping, "Wait, I think I have a coupon for that." Then I pilfer through my organizer.

I'm all excited about today's grocery savings. Here's just a few examples: I got salad dressing, regular $2.99 with a dollar coupon, then doubled from this week's flyer for .99. Two boxes of cereal on sale for $6.00; I had a coupon for $2 off, plus a coupon-doubler bringing it to $1.50 a box! My bill came to over $120 and when the cashier deducted all my coupons I walked out of there paying just over $80. Not bad.

Earlier this week Market Basket had a sale on paper towels and Tide. On my lunch hour I stopped in and bought two 15 packs of Bounty and three 64 oz. Tide HE. Bounty regular $12.99 on sale for $9.99 and I had two dollar off coupons. The Tide regular $14.99 was on sale for $10.99. I had three coupons one of which was two dollars off. Now I've got enough for a good six months.

The other day I got a call from my mortgage broker. Apparently mortgage rates have dropped so I might be refinancing. I can save a half of a percent. Why not? Heck, I don't even need a coupon.

10 comments:

A Lewis said...

59 in the house? You can bet'cher bippy that I'd have cranked up the heat. I HATE to be cold in the winter. As for mortgage rates, have that mortgage dude call me....I'd love to refi.

Lemuel said...

I've been trying to watch sales and coupons, too. When it is something we use I try to buy it and stock up. I'm doing fairly well, if I do say so. I do avoid coupons (even clipping them) for things that we do not use or for things I can get for less.

Anonymous said...

Someone once told me that I'd "go broke saving money" I stopped reading sale papers and clipping coupons and found that I'm much better off now. I do stock up on sale items, but now I don't by a bunch of stuff that I never would have bought had I not thought I could "save" by buying it. Turn the heat on for crying out loud...life is about quality, so what if you have to not go out to dinner once this month to cover the extra expense.

tornwordo said...

I've got the little snap on coupon caddy too. I used to love getting things free with the coupon doubling coupled with on sale items. Sadly, here in Canadia, they don't double and there are coupons in the paper once a month only.

Steven said...

I rarely will use a coupon unless it is a coupon I just discovered and will be shopping within the next day or so. Or else the coupon is forgotten about, I remember shopping with Mom when I was little and I think she spent more time going through the coupons than the time it took to shop. Then when she would get her way to use an expired coupon. I felt I needed to say a few Hail Marys on the spot. :-)

Ur-spo said...

i have never used coupons - I am a bit intimidated by them! I guess I worry I am not using them right - whatever that means.

Michael Rivers said...

I always say I'm going to get better at using coupons--and I never do. I really should! I try to only buy what's on sale too. Stuff is too expensive otherwise! You can be my inspiration. :-)

Will said...

Oh wonderful--you're cheap like me!

madtexter said...

You ARE the coupon queen! Now where do I get some of these coupons everyone keeps talking about? In the newspaper?

BTW, funny blog. I'll be following you from now on.

TheEgoReturns said...

As someone that uses coupons just as much as you do I'm not as gung ho about having it be 59 degrees in my condo.

Of course, living in San Diego it's rare that I even turn the heat on at all!