Monday, November 16, 2009

Boston's Gay Club Scene: Shallow

This past weekend I went to a couple of gay bars in Boston. A friend was turning forty so we wanted to show him a good time. I don't get out much anymore, at least not to the bars, and after Saturday night I'm going back into my cave.

I've always found the Boston club scene to be pretentious. Sure there's good eye candy, all the college boys out to relieve some stress, but watching drunks, regardless of how cute they are, only goes so far. Compared to the local watering hole I used to acquaint, striking up a conversation in Boston is done with the sole intention of having sex. And of course only the beautiful shall apply. When I go out I like to talk with all flavors of people for my intention isn't to bed anyone but to socialize. In Boston, if you as much smile at someone it's an assumption of interest. And God forbid you flash your pearly whites at Grandpa.

Bottom line, if you're not looking to get off, get drunk, listen to loud music (especially if your not into dance music) or get hit on by people not to your liking then the Boston club scene is useless.

In contrast, on the way home, we stopped off at the local watering hole I mentioned above, for a night cap. Open armed reception. A world of difference.

5 comments:

tornwordo said...

That applies to pretty much any big city / small town comparison.

Michael Rivers said...

I don't like pretentious clubs either. They get very old very fast!! The fun can only go so far.

A Lewis said...

Funny you'd post this today. Because I have a very rare overnight in Boston this coming Friday night. And I was sort of wondering about how far the gay bars are from my hotel and how I might get there. Thanks for reminding me!

Ur-spo said...

Boston and the New England coast sounds overall pretentious, but I am not sure.

Anonymous said...

I've been to many in the area...47 is the best in my book! Hated Club-so-gay. A good road trip is always to head to Ogunquit.