Thursday, December 10, 2009

Think Spring

Yesterday most of New England experienced an enormous snowstorm. Luckily for me the coast got all rain. However, those areas that did get snow were clobbered with the heavy wet stuff -- the type of snow that jams the snow blower and is heavy enough to give you a heart attack. I'm not very attuned to the news. I was wondering why everyone was late for work yesterday and when they showed up they were wearing jeans (snow days are an excuse). To me it was just another work day, albeit a little wet.

We'll get our turn soon enough.

Last night Chris went out with the girls for an after work social. I got home took Bandit for a walk, poured myself a glass of wine, read the paper, figured out some new plants that I want to put in for the spring (the new Bluestone Perennial catalog came) and made myself baked stuffed sole. While the night was relaxing, dinner wasn't so good. Last summer we ordered a bunch of stuff from Omaha Steaks, one of which was two pieces of fish. I'd been delaying cooking it. Something about fish from Nebraska just didn't sit well with me. My skepticism proved correct: flavorless, except for the freezer burn, and all stuffing with a paper thin layer of fish. Yuck!

Come to think of it yesterday's lunch wasn't that great either but I shouldn't complain it was free. In celebration of the holidays, my company gave us a turkey dinner (lunch) replete with mashed potatoes, stuffing, squash etc. The thing I liked the most was the sesame bun which isn't saying much. The potatoes were instant; I can't stomach instant potatoes. The turkey tasted processed, like a Jennie roll, and the stuffing was just adequate. I skipped the eclair as I'm trying to watch my girlish figure. Oh well. Like I said I shouldn't complain.

Now back to thinking about spring planting...

5 comments:

Michael Rivers said...

In Minneapolis, we got a few inches of snow--but it is COLD!! Far too cold for this time of year. Supposedly we had a Montanna Wall of cold air come thru. Why didn't they keep it?!?! We need to be back up in the 30s!

A Lewis said...

Spring. That's a nice thought.

Lemuel said...

We were lucky too with that storm - all rain except for a bit of slush at the beginning.

Charles said...

It's currently 25 degrees but it was cold this morning. I think at noon it was 13 degrees. We've had some snow but most of it has melted. With it being so cold though, many places are covered in ice with a thin layer of snow on it.

Ur-spo said...

January was my month to dream of gardens.