Thursday, January 14, 2010

It's a Toss Up

Scott Brown Running for the U.S. Senate

I just spent the last hour doing two things: 1) trying to figure out who to vote for in next week's Massachusetts' U.S. Senate election (to fill Ted Kennedy's seat) and 2) catching up on blogs yet only to find them die out to Facebook and Twitter.

As for the election, I'm an Independent and am holding true to its definition in that, despite all my research, I am still undecided. I like Coakley for her social issues but not for increases in government spending and more "programs" to help the people (which just increases taxes and puts us further in debt). Yet I like Brown for the reasons I don't like Coakley. So what to do? I don't know yet.

As for social networking, Web 2.0 is amazing in it's ability to keep people connected. Sure one could argue tweeting vs. face to face contact is not connecting but to me these networks have allowed me to reacquaint with people I would never, ever have talked to. For example, someone that grew up in my neighborhood that left at 8 years old I have been chatting with. It's truly amazing. I think for the younger generation, those that never knew life before social networking, it's a lot different. But for the Gen-X and Baby Boomers truly rewarding. That being said...

I see more and more bloggers turning away, myself included, from our posts to quick blurps and tweets on these others sites. While fun they do nothing for good, quality writing. So here I am with two posts in two days.

So who will win? FaceBook or blogging? What about Coakley vs. Brown?

12 comments:

Lemuel said...

I've not been following the MA race, altho I've hear that it is a virtual tie.
As a geezer, I just cannot get into the social networking thing.

madtexter ☺☺☺☺☺☺ (corey james) said...

Hey guy, you should check out Candy over at Candy's Daily Dandy. She's got some words on this subject today too!
http://candysdailydandy.blogspot.com/

Our recent local mayoral election in Atlanta was a hotmess too! But MA and it's senate seat are a hot potato, baby!

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Blog on my Beantown brother, blog on....

A Lewis said...

There is no doubt that some bloggers have closed up shop with a migration to FB. Unfortunately, they are about as closely related as apples and oranges. I also must admit that even I have slowed down on my blog posts but will never give it up. It's a good challenge for me to keep writing.

Peter said...

Blogging will win. On the candidates I don't know, that's something of the heart.

Anonymous said...

Please, don't stop your blogging!

hh

Anonymous said...

I vote for Brown and Blogging. Quality vs. Quanity!

Rick said...

Thanks for all your comments. Great feedback!

Anonymous said...

I think its important to have a Brown so as to not make it 100% democratic. If your not Happy with Deval and Pals...Having Coakley in would conitnue on the same path..I am hanging around for Mr. Brown!

Stephen said...

I have a persona, challange to do a post a day...& sometimes I just can't get it up to do one...& sometimes I can't shut up.
I like your blog a bunch, you should post more.

I live with 2 terrires!
Best wishes from Portland!

Shaney said...

I was just starting to get back into blogging..I only wish I kept my original blog back in 2006..It might have helped me remember where the past few years have gone and what I did with the time :P

But I have always kept the addresses of those that I had listed way back when. You are right about facebook and twitter I spend most of my time on facebook now.

On that note I will endeavor to keep my posts going on my blog now that I have re-started.

Hope all is well with you xxx

Ur-spo said...

phooey to Facebook - it is for short mind blurts and tid tats. Fine in itself. But it promotes short interactions and bad expression - and poor English.

Blogging is where we truly express ourselves - those with something to say and with patience to write.

So, please keep going!