For the first time ever I sat through an entire State of the Union address. Normally I zone out after 10 minutes but Barrack Obama's eloquence had me captivated well past my bed time.
I thought I'd put together a list of pros and cons. For the record, I am not a huge Obama supporter but I wound up with more pros than cons.
- Attempt to reach across party lines
- Focus on the economy (after all it's where people's heads are at)
- Tax incentives for businesses (businesses are where the jobs will come from not government)
- Freeze on government spending
- Taking responsibility for failure and tackling not so popular topics (i.e. health care)
- Admitting it isn't going to be easy
- Forcing others to look beyond the polls and do what's right for the people
- Push to remove don't ask, don't tell (albeit controversial I personally like this...for obvious reasons)
- Too many ideas and promises that I fear won't be able to pass or get done
I truly hope that we all do pull together to make the country better, to be # 1 in clean technology and move beyond our economic problems.
All this from a non-political junkie, registered as an Independent that didn't even vote for him. Hmmm...