Sunday, February 28, 2010

A New Laptop: It's About Time!

I finally broke down and bought a new laptop. Yes, finally after all my bitching and complaining I got a new Toshiba Satellite, 17" laptop. It's much sleeker and faster than my other hunk of junk. Actually, there's really no comparison.

I'm enjoying it. Here I sit at the dining room table, my blogging office, typing my very first post on it. My cup of coffee nearby.

Purchasing it however, was no small feat.

It started a couple of weeks ago. I told you. This is the same one I found at BJ's Wholesale Club. 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB hard drive, Windows 7 and large 17" screen for $599 with an instant $70 rebate - an excellent bargain. And you now me with my bargains.

One thing, before I forget, you know how most laptop keyboards don't come with a number keypad. Well, this one's plenty wide to accommodate one. The overall size is big for a laptop which might not work for everyone but for me I don't need to take it anywhere. I wasn't looking for a little teeny mini-notebook. I want to be able to see what the hell I'm doing. Yet it's a laptop so it's still compact enough to travel with if need be.

So back to my purchasing story...

Last week during lunch I made one more finally trip to BJ's to look at the specs and then over to BestBuy for a final compare. BestBuy had a similar but smaller model, no number keypad, for the same price. It only had 3GB RAM yet a larger hard drive. I don't save files on my laptop; they're all put on an external hard drive so storage isn't an issue. I told myself after work, lunch hour was cutting close, I'd go back to BJ's and buy it.

Well that night after a grueling work day I made a short detour back to BJ's. Wrote up the slip, paid for it. The cashier calls over the supervisor to get it from the locked gate.

She walks back empty handed. "I'm sorry sure the only one left is the display model. I can give you that one."

"For a further discount?" I asked trying to get it for even cheaper. After all it was the display model.

"No, it would have to be at the same price."

"Forget it."

She then took me over to member services to credit back my account. Afterward she looked up in the computer to see what other stores that might have it. She told me Salem, NH had plenty.

Ugh.

Long story short, yesterday we drove up to Salem, NH (about 40 minutes away). Normally I don't go driving around the country in search of a bargain. It defeats the purpose of getting a good price but this wasn't so much about price as it was the features. The price was just the icing on the cake.

Well, I should have called ahead. We get there, not even a display model for me to write up the SKU. I went to the supervisor, lucky I had the specs from the Toshiba site. They had no more left. I was pissed. She called two other stores in the area. Both out. On the way home we passed the BJ's in Stoneham. This time I called from the car. They had one left. I had them put it aside for me.

So here I am - a new laptop in which to write and surf the Internet. Going forward I promise no more drivel about laptops, no more screaming and yelling about frozen screens and missing x buttons. What the hell am I going to write about?

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I just recently purchased a Toshiba with minimal bells and whistles, no camera or mic built in... but windows 7 and the basics... got it cheap at Best Buy...being broke I had to take the step down since I did not have a computer at all to carry with me for my job... about two weeks ago after some tax refunds and reorganization of finances, Jeff will now get this Toshiba and I get a new fancy HP with the number key pad on it (I love it) so when I get it and get it up and running you will see happy posts from me I hope... enjoy the new Toshiba, so far mine has been very good

A Lewis said...

Yippee for boys with new toys!

Lemuel said...

Congrats on the new lappy! For all the effort you put into chasing it down, you deserve a good one.

Charles said...

Sounds like it was well worth the trip!