Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Spring Countdown

I just realized there are only four more weeks till spring! Woo hoo! That's fantastic. I always find January and February to be the worst months of the year. The post-holidays, the snow, the cold, the darkness... all make for a dreary couple of months. When I'm retired I shall go to a warmer climate for at least these two months. Not quite sure yet where I would go. The Carolinas? New Mexico? Arizona? Florida?

I hear down in Florida it's been rather chilly as of late. Yesterday here in New England we were in the mid to high 40s and it felt wonderful! I got my car washed, was driving around with the windows open. My next door neighbor had on shorts. You warmer climate people probably think we're crazy but after weeks and months below freezing it felt like a heat wave.

I've been following steadfast on my weekly flower purchasing. Flowers always make me feel better. I've been getting two fresh bunches of tulips each week at Trader Joe's. This week's tulips are white. Last week's were red for Valentine's. Fresh flowers always liven up the house nicely. Oh and thank you Sean (at Just a Jeep Guy) I've been following your advice and keeping a penny in the bottom of the vases and no dropped leaves!

Yesterday I enjoyed the freedom from my diet. I had Burger King and a Hershey's bar. Today it's back to eggs, meat, beans and vegetables. Thank God I love black beans. I go through about 3 or 4 cans a weeks.

Chris is sick. No, not from my over consumption of beans. That's a topic for another post. He got the cold I had last weekend. He was up at 4:30 in the morning taking a hot shower - the steam was helping to clear his sinuses. I become an Afrin-addict when I'm sick. I can't stand not being able to breath through my nose, especially when sleeping. I know nasal spray is terrible for you but I can't find anything else that works as good. He prefers some prescription thing (Flonase?); it does nothing for me. Give me the $3.99 CVS generic Afrin and I'm good to go. My colds gone...thank goodness. Hopefully I won't catch a repeat. Maybe I'll take a couple shots of Airborne today.

8 comments:

Lemuel said...

Sometimes just a salt water nasal spray helps me.

A Lewis said...

no no no. I love February...my birthday plus the blooms start coming out. it's been 60 in Portland the last four days. Perfect!

A Lewis said...

no no no. I love February...my birthday plus the blooms start coming out. it's been 60 in Portland the last four days. Perfect!

madtexter ☺☺☺☺☺☺ (corey james) said...

Ah, yes. There's nothing quite like keeping fresh flowers around - and potted plants. We have a bazillion plants. The master bath alone reminds me of a rainforest. It's like spring/summer inside all year 'round.

I'll have to hit Trader Joe's to get some of those tulips. You can NEVER have enough of those.

Rick said...

So true...never enough flowers.

Ur-spo said...

Burger King and a Hershey bar?
oh my goodness goodness!

tornwordo said...

Heh, I'm an Afrin addict too when I'm sick. Nothing else works.

Sean said...

I'm glad you tried it and it worked. Tulips as such simple flowers but so beautiful and with so many varieties.