Saturday, March 06, 2010

Dog Dreams

Bandit slept between us last night and around three in the morning - why does everything have to happen around three - I heard him whimpering and crying and felt his legs twitching against my side. Having a nightmare I assumed - not the first time.

When this happens I reach out from under the warm confines of my blanket, pet his little head and give him a reassuring "ssshhh, everything's okay." Before you know it he's repositioned himself and back to sleep, apparently onto sweeter dreams. I on the other hand am left wide awake.

What do dogs dream about? I assume dogs do indeed dream. (Yet my Skinnerian training cautions me to be anthropomorphic.) Why else would he be whimpering in his sleep? He must be thinking or having visions of something going on in his little head. Perhaps it's the fox. Maybe he's hungry and is seeing food affront him and unable to get it; last night's whimper was similar to the begging sound he makes while we eat. Or maybe he was fearing a scary monster coming after our little family and he was trying to protect. I could go on and on.

Thankfully, he's never done this...

8 comments:

Lemuel said...

That video was funny! The princess dreams too but moves and whimpers only to the extent of the beginning of the video. I, too, would love to know what is going on in their dreams.

A Lewis said...

kind of crazy, isn't it? I sort of like it that I'm his daddy and that just my touch and calming words help him.

wcs said...

I just assume that Callie is dreaming about chasing rabbits or deer. Happy dreams. I also put my hand on her and that seems to calm her down, but I'm also afraid that I'm interrupting a really good dream (and I hate when that happens to me). So I don't always stop her. ;)

Sean said...

Tramp, my cairn, never makes sounds when he's sleeping. On the other hand, I find Truvy having what seems to be very bad dreams at least twice a week. she's done this since I rescued her 8 years ago. I always do the same thing, I pet her and say, 'happy dreams' and then list all the things she likes - riding in the car, treats, sleeping in the sun, tug-of-war, fetch, walks, chasing squirrels, marrow bones, and so one.

It makes me so sad even after all these years. It wasn't on her record but I'm sure she was severely abused and I think that's what she has nightmares about.

madtexter ☺☺☺☺☺☺ (corey james) said...

All of my dogs dream, too. I never understand why some people don't think animals have a soul. If they can dream, there must be a higher purpose for them in life.

Ur-spo said...

They dream of the hunt.

RG said...

When my dog is having a dream, she looks like she's having a seizure. The legs are kicking; the eyes rolling around in her eye-sockets, the tail is wagging; the barking - yes, barking. I often wonder what she's dreaming about.

And thank you for your kind words about my blog. Only next time leave a reply-abled comment so I can communicate with a fellow Bay State blogger! LOL

lehuutai said...

Is there online dream dictionary for dogs?