Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dreary, Rainy Sunday: Good Day for Reading

It's a nice day to stay in and cuddle up with a good book.

Outside it is raining to beat the banshee, started yesterday and isn't supposed to stop till sometime Monday. Yet afterward the temps are expected to rise and the sun to finally appear. I'm looking forward to that!

I slept late this morning, woke up in the middle of the night too hot and then couldn't fall back to sleep till much later. Plus the clock adjustment, springing ahead, has got me behind.

This weather makes me lazy and unproductive. Since I'm in the middle of a couple of books, I'll probably pick one up:

Wally Lamb's The Hour I First Believed. It started off really good. I flew through the first half but now, at about 2/3 of the way through, I'm getting bored with it but his writing style is so good I definitely want to finish it. Besides I've got too much invested to stop now.

David Allen's Getting Things Done. A colleague at work lent it to me. I liked it so much that last week I picked up my own copy, along with his companion Making It All Work. I'm half way through GTD.

David Walker's Comeback America. I just picked this up on Thursday and am already half way through. It's a fascinating, quick read on the fiscal status of America and the ways in which we can prevent collapse. I heard him on NPR early last week and was so impressed by the manner in which he explains complex material, making it understandable to us laymen - very articulate and well spoken.

My preference is not to start a new book till I finish the one I'm reading. I don't like to be ADD with my book reading but as of late I guess I have been. Yet last week I finally finished Excuses Begone by Wayne Dyer. It was inspirational but I didn't get as much out of as I have some of his others.

Well, now that's it's almost noon I suppose I should take a shower. Till tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH, That book strikes a nerve!

The obvious way to get America back is to stop going to chain restaurants and buying Chinese junk at Wal-mart. I do everything I can to buy American and avoid chain restaurants. One trip around this country and you'll see what having a Sonic, Wal-mart, Target etc. on every corner does to ruin this country. Buy local is more than an advertising gimmick.

Rick said...

Interesting. I haven't found that book to be so controversial or even partisan. Essentially all he's saying that in the long-term we're headed toward a disaster. The only way out of is [for the government] to pay the bills, no deficits, no over extensions.