Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Experiencing an Earthquake

Welcome to post 3 of 31, at this month's daily blogging challenge. Today I'd like to talk a bit about recent news...

----

It's a bit odd that the world has seen two huge catastrophic earthquakes in a little over a month's time. First it was Haiti, a 7.0 on January 12th, and then Chile, a 8.8 on February 27th. What's the connection between Haiti and Chile? Is it just a coincidence or did one fault line trip another?

Perhaps we'll never know.

I've experienced a 5.0 earthquake in Seattle. It was the strangest experience. I was lying in bed, taking an afternoon nap, when all of a sudden I heard this loud sound in the distance, sort of like a freight train. I got louder and louder till it was nearby. Then the ground undulated, lifting me up and letting me back down. The sound dissipated as the wave moved away. Luckily there was no major damage. The house I was staying in had some cracks in the pavement but other than that nothing huge. The whole experienced scared me silly. I stayed outside for a good while afterward just to make sure there wasn't anything worse on its way. My landlady was laughing at me. To her it was nothing.

In terms of strength the Haiti and Chilean earthquakes were several times more powerful than my Seattle experience. I can't imagine what I'd do in one of those.

What's been your experience with earthly tremors?

9 comments:

lehuutai said...

Hi Rick!
Lucky me, I haven't confronted such natural catastrophes.

Michael Rivers said...

Luckily I've never experienced an earthquake. But living in Minneapolis, I have experienced some very violent storms that can shake the ground. Lightning, winds, thunder, hail, tornados. Almost that time of year!

Greg said...

Growing up in Southern California, we've lived with them for as long as I can remember (and even longer, judging form history books). I experienced the Northridge Quake (shook me out of bed), the Coalinga, the Loma Prieta (which collapsed the Oakland Bridge in the Bay Area) and its many aftershocks, and countless others. It's scary and exciting at the same time, usually not lasting longer than 1 minute.

Maddog said...

I felt some very small quakes while I was in San Diego. They were enough to scare me and the first time it was so small I barely felt it. I can't imagine the magnitude of what's occurred lately.

Anonymous said...

It may be that there is more media to cover them or it may be that there are just more lately...not sure which.

You didn't include the 5.7 Venezuela quake on Jan 15 or the 6.0 Guatemala Jan 18 or Argentina...I could go on...but there are several more recently that just didn't make national news.

Ur-spo said...

no earthquakes for me, although I apparently slept through two minor ones, alas.

Rick said...

Anonymous -- good points but because those were moderate ones, in earthquake prone areas, they didn't make the radar.

Lemuel said...

I've never experienced one - or one that I was aware of. I had always thought of my little corner of the work to be without earthquakes until about 20 years ago when the area in which we are now living (we were not living here then - about 30+ miles away) had a small one. Our little local "epicenter" is about 10 miles away. It's been quiet. I hope it stays that way.

tornwordo said...

More like hundreds or thousands of times more powerful since the scale is exponential. The last one I was in was the Northridge quake of 94. I won't mind if that's the last one I'll ever experience.