Wednesday, June 02, 2010

I'm Still in My Forties and Other Goobly Gook

June is here already. Time is flying. It's Gay pride month. I heard that Obama recently made it official that June is national gay pride (or appreciation) month. I guess his recognition is a good thing. Yet does it really do anything? Or is it just vote baiting for 2012. Campaign seasons will be here before you know it.

Speaking of before you know it...the other day I got another AARP invite in the mail .  I started yelling, "I'm not 50 for another 7 years! Leave me alone! Don't keep reminding me!" It's says right on it that you have to be 50. Good God!

What else?

Still debating on what to do with the air conditioner. Luckily, the temperature has been relatively mild so I haven't needed it. Then on the other hand if it were sweltering I'd probably be forced to make a decision. Instead I'm facing analysis paralysis.

I've put together a spreadsheet with all my options.  There are 10. I've laid out all the prices, equipment pros and cons and compared them with their warranties, energy efficiency etc. I was ready to make the call when I discovered the option I was going to go with (the lowest price) only offered a 5 year warranty where all the others had a 10 year. Then, on top of that, I got a call from another guy.  Whose actually coming out in about an hour to give me another estimate.

Oy!  That's all I need, another option!

I thought it was the cable box? That would have been nice.  It is actually the tv. So now I've got to buy a new set. However this decision is an easier one. I'm not going to, at this point,
Oh, and the tv! Remember replace it with the full-fledged home theater system with 60 inch screen like I eventually want to. For the time being I'm getting a decent 32" that will easily fit in the existing credenza. It'll be a simple throw the other one out and get a new lightweight one installed. Next year when I'm ready to get the home theater system, the 32" will go in the spare bedroom. Consumer Reports recommended a Panasonic which I saw for $399 at Best Buy.

Alright, that's it. Need to get ready. Over and out...

7 comments:

Jabacue said...

Guess Obama is trying to appease everyone...it's a good start though.....at least it'll get a lot more people talking about the issues with gay rights etc

Under 50 eh? I remember once when I was around 50, I was at a movie theatre purchasing a ticket and the sweet young thing asked if it was for the SENIOR'S rate!!!! I won't tell you what I thought. But it was the start of learning to accept the eventual.....getting older.

Gee, if I was a little like you with all those options, I probably wouldn't rush into things as I do.....getting better though.

Peter said...

You're as young/old as you feel. I thought you were in your late 30's anyway. [Does that feel good?!]

Brahm (alfred lives here) said...

I too am 43, and find it weird when fall in with the 'older' age bracket.. weird as in WRONG DAMMIT. I am way too immature to be an adult.

I saw the Obama thing also... nice enough generic proclamation, also feel he is still trying to appease everyone rather than strapping on some balls and doing something new. Just my opinion...

Lemuel said...

I recently saw an ad for an hvac system with accompanying solar panels. I wish they would have had that a couple of years ago. I would have looked into it.

Greg said...

I've been receiving AARP invites, notices for Medicare/MedicAid, and all those other wonderful Senior things for years. Found out that AAA thinks I've been a member for 50+ years, even though I've told them over and over that I'm not. Heck, I don't even hit 40 until October....

Ur-spo said...

hohoho
I am nearly 50, so no words from me to console you !

RG said...

Like Spo, I'm close to 50, and I have NO sympathy for you either. LOL It's nice to see another New England blogger.