Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Bit of Rambling

Photo Credit: Massey Services

Last night I broke two of my sprinkler heads trying to get them to spray right. For the life of me I could not figure out how to adjust them.  Now one of them shoots out from the top like Niagara Falls and the other one squirts into the wall, instead of the grass. I think it's time to call the guy above!

Last night I cooked beets...baked them for two hours.  Unfortunately by the time they finished cooking, we were already done eating.  Someday I'll get the timing thing down.   They're in the fridge for tonight.

Spent 50% of my work day in meetings yesterday.  That's actually an improvement.  Two months ago it would have been 80-90%.

I've got too many herbs from the CSA and I'll be getting another crop on Thursday. Basil anyone?

My sister's going down to see my Mom this week. Reminds me I need to get down there. We're going to Florida in April but to the west coast.

Chris just turned the shower on...my cue that it's getting late. Enough rambling...

11 comments:

Lemuel said...

You are one of the few people I know that eats beets. I love them, although I must confess that I've never baked them. Intriguing.

No "work" meetings. One of the blessings of retirement! :)

Peter said...

I love beets, only the hassle of cooking them is taken away since you can buy them pre-cooked. Only thing needed now a finely chopped onion, vinegar, some oil and freshly grounded pepper & salt. Hmmmm.

Can't you block 'Niagara'?!

Ur-spo said...

homemade cooked beets are sooo much better than the nasty red things found in salad bars, so keep trying.

wcs said...

In France most beets are sold cooked, whole. They are not nasty like canned beets. They are earthy and delicious and just like you roasted them yourself (without the time investment).

When that sprinkler guy's done at your place, will you send him over here, please? :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Lemuel and Peter, I love beets. I serve them a least once a week---furthermore, they are so beautiful. And, I love them baked.

grumpy

Jabacue said...

Never heard of baking beets...maybe that's why it took so long. Beets are my fav! I boil them. Takes about 40 minutes for medium sized ones....less for smaller. Big beets are usually tougher I find and take forever. But baking them....may try that.

Rick said...

We had the beets last night. They were delicious! Put them in a little balsamic vinaigrette and served them cold. Yummy!

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

We are not a beet family: my husband works at a sugar beet factory and because of that--beets do not make it into our food rotation. :)

Greg said...

I haven't eaten a beet since college. I think. Anyway, it's been a while. I didn't know you could bake them.

Anonymous said...

I love to start with a Boboli and top it with EVOO, a little Italian spice, fresh tomato, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella...YUM and only 10 mins quick!!!

pierre said...

if you want to knwo what to do with beets come and visit my french food blog there are recipes in english which may suit you !! cheers Pierre de Paris