Sunday, July 11, 2010

Grinding and Volkswagen Beetles

Yesterday I had seven stumps taken out of my yard. They were left over from trees that had been cut down prior to my purchasing the house. I had been putting getting rid of them off because I heard it was so expensive but the guy I had do it was quite reasonable. $125 to grind seven stumps...I didn't think that was bad at all.


He had this remote control machine, about the size of a SmartCar. It hovered over the stumps and shaved them away. Fun to watch. It made a mess, lots of mulch strewn all over the yard. I spent the better part of the morning cleaning it up. What do you expect for $125.

The picture above is part of the aftermath. I had two stumps next to my blueberry bush. Now that they've been removed maybe I'll finally get some blueberries. The bugs living in the old stumps were eating any signs of fruit that sprouted.

Speaking of bugs, I'm trying to talk myself out of getting a classic VW Beetle. I want to get one, eventually, just right now may not the right time. Then part of me says is there ever a right time? It wouldn't be replacing the Volvo; getting a bug would be just for fun. Ideally, I'd like to have an extra garage bay to keep it in, winterize it etc.

At the local garage there has been a (ca.) 1979 convertible sitting in the same spot for the last two months. It's not for sale but the owner has yet to pick it up. I talked to the mechanic about it, gave him my card and said to call me if the owner was interested in selling.


Isn't it cute? Needs some work but for the right price...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing that comes to mind is "Mid life crisis"?

Might as well get a tattoo also.

Bad purchase..all the things you needed to spend money on and complained about for years, laptop, tv, ac..etc.. and you want to buy a money pit?

Jason, as himself said...

Stumps and a broken down car. It sounds like you need things to do!

Lemuel said...

That *is* a good price for removing the stumps, I think. I had one removed at our former place a number of years ago and it cost me about that.

As for the classic VW Beetle, I always wanted one when I was in my teens and early twenties, but my father would have none of it. They were only around $1600 then! One of my friends was given a blue convertible VW for his 16th birthday. So cool. About ten years ago I purchased a used New Beetle. I still have it.

Greg said...

That is a cute little car!

Rick said...

Thanks Greg...at least some of us do. : )

Curtis said...

I've got my mind set on a 1957 oval window ragtop beetle. It's in great condition and it's really pretty. I guess I'm not the only one with bug fever.

Ur-spo said...

I would luv a car like this !

RG said...

The good thing about the classic VW Beetles is you can drive the shit out of them and they last forever. If you don't believe me, just go to Mexico City - that's where VW Beetles go for their second life. LOL

I say go ahead and buy one. It's a good car to bang around in - especially in New England.

Rick said...

Actually the Beetles in Mexico are new. VW in Mexico retained the rights to manufacture the classic Beetle style up until just a few years ago.

RG said...

I stand corrected. Now for my punishment...