Sunday, July 04, 2010

Silent Summer Morning

Ahhhh, sitting out on the back deck sipping my morning coffee. Why don't I do this more often? Guess I just need to take the time to enjoy.

So it's the fourth of July...day off tomorrow. Today shall be filled with the typical American flair, cookouts and fireworks. This time we're not hosting the cooking part but people will be trucking over here to come watch the fireworks. We have a good display, plenty of parking and we can walk to see them.

I love the summer.

Bandit's eying the squirrels that are frolicking in the neighboring tree. Every so often he yelps out a bark to let them know he's there. It doesn't seem to bother them. I think they know just how far his lead goes and stay the requisite distance.

My lawn is looking good, except for a couple patches underneath the old tree stumps. There are ants living in it and I'm wondering if they have nested underground destroying the lawn. I put out bait traps; it helped rid some of the ants but I think I need something more powerful. DDT? The heck with Rachel Carson. (I didn't say that did I?)

Actually, (breaking for several minutes after typing the above) I just checked the area: Surprisingly it gets no water from the sprinkler system! Looks like Rachel Carson won't be knocking on my door after all. I'll just need to adjust the heads.

7 comments:

Sean said...

If you still think it's ants, try cream of wheat or cornmeal. Bucko just did a post about it.

http://buckoclown.blogspot.com/2010/07/poison-free-ant-elimination-o.html

Peter said...

So you see... sometimes those early morning musings have a clarivying result.

Lemuel said...

We had been smitten with gnats in this area. Last summer they were terrible all summer long and they started out that was this summer until the heat and the dry spell hit. Now they seem to be much less of a problem. I was just about ready to do terrible things myself (about the gnats ;) ).

tornwordo said...

I love the quiet mornings when the boys sleep in.

Greg said...

I would have suggested renting an anteater if they have any out there. Or something with a long tongue. But as long as you're going to adjust the heads....

(mind....gutter...)

Anonymous said...

diazinon or dursban (which I think is banned now)... I dated an orkin man.

the cajun said...

There is nothing like a quiet morning with a cup or hot coffee, or a tall iced one. For me, it almost becomes a time for meditation. Try to make the time every day, you won't be sorry.