Friday, July 16, 2010

Still Got the Bug Fever

I'm holding off on buying a Bug. I need to do more research. Thanks to Curtis I found a great site that does custom restores. So let me dabble a little bit in what some of you eye as my mid-life crisis.

Like I mentioned before I want to have an extra garage bay to keep it in. The last thing I want is to spend all that money and have to leave it out in the winter. So this little hobby, if I so chose, would cost me not only the car but a $XX,XXX addition - not a cheap hobby.

Yet it's still fun to look...


I found this beautiful 1979 Volkswagen Super Beetle Convertible (picture above) with only 68K original documented miles, completely restored and with a new engine. I love the color, River Blue. The car is located only 15 miles from here. Most bugs I find, on eBay and the like, are in the south or California which is good because they're less likely to have rust. I'm not too sure what this one's history is in that respect but it's apparently rust free.

From what I hear the engines in the 1974 and greater bugs were very problematic. That time period (74-79) was Volkswagen's first foray with fuel injection - the "fuelly" as they are known. Because of this, the one above's engine was replaced with a new pre-74 carburetor-type. Which in my estimation, and others I have spoken too, doesn't make it lose any value.

I won't tell you how much they want for it; my fiscal conservative cover would be blown. Remember, I'm just looking.

Because of the "fuelly" problems, better resale value and just general style, Chris Vallone, a custom bug restorer at ClassicVWBugs.com, sticks with bugs no later than 1972. He's got some beauties, literally museum-style, and will let you build-a-bug, just give him what you want and he'll restore every nut and bolt.

8 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

I'm so impressed with your butch knowledge of engines.

madtexter (corey james) said...

I luuuuuuuurve V-Dubs! I have an '08 VW Jetta SEL myself. Her name is Gretta the Jetta. VW has a rock solid reputation for safety standards. That's mostly why I got one. Let's just say if I were in a crash, then woke up from unconsciousness and looked around, I'd probably think I were in bed with all those airbag pillows surrounding me.

Charles said...

I know nothing about engines, I know it makes the car work, but that is about it. It's why I have my brother.

Best of luck Rick!

Lemuel said...

The first bug I drove (not owned! - it belongs to our pastor who once let me drive it right after I got my license! [brave man!) was about a 1959. Then my friend from high school got one, as I think I commented earlier. It was a 1963 or 64. A former coworker has a Karmann Ghia in his garage that he hopes one day to restore.
Ah! the sound of putt-putt!

Stan in NH said...

I always wanted a Beetle myself. I don't know about cars, but they do look like a fun car to have.

BosGuy said...

Hello Rick - first time visiting your blog and wanted to compliment you. Also wanted to wish you luck with writing your novel.

Cheers,
BosGuy

Ur-spo said...

you must get one or the world will end as we know it. Not to pressure you...

CJ/Rick said...

I've had that fever before. Those engines are/were so amazingly easy to work on.