Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pedaling My Papaya with Pepe Le Pew and More

Yesterday saw me doing errands sans Chris: his office was putting on an open house for customers thus the "therapist is REAL in" sign (for you Peanuts fans) had to be hung. I tooted around town with the windows and sunroof open pedaling my papaya to Trader Joe's, Hannaford, dry cleaners and the like in an effort to whittle down the to-do list. I think it was a successful day.

Around 5 o'clock one could see me out mowing the lawn and laying down grub killer. I have a family of skunks digging up the yard, feasting upon a smorgasbord of these ugly little buggers. I rushed through my lawn efforts for the sun sets a lot earlier than it did in the summer (feels funny to write about summer in the past tense being that it was near 90 degrees yesterday) and I needed to see my lawn lines. Hopefully this pesticide will do the trick on the grubs, deter the skunks and allow me to save my lawn. I bought the toxic stuff (Eco officers please don't spank me!) but I am also going to get milky spore which is an organic recipe that is supposed to last for up to 15 years. However, I've heard milky spore may take awhile to be effective yet, in the long term, keeps them from returning. So I figured I'd first kill them with the toxic stuff then keep them away with the organic. Thankfully, I'm not out for environmental farmer of the year award. Foremost I don't want the little Bandit in a tussle with Pepe Le Pew. After all, it is all about the Bandit. In fact here's a picture of Chris discussing our vacation itinerary, whilst in Maine, with Bandit. It seems I had no say in the matter.

"Bandit I'm thinking we should hike Dorr mountain. What do you think?"

Chris is sleeping in. He's had a whirlwind of a work week, culminating in the aforementioned open house. While he's still on call, Sundays are usually non-eventful (knock on wood). Today shall see us at the garden center buying fall plants and back to arrange but not before dropping my car off to fix the back tire; it seems I have a slow leak.

Amidst yesterday's travels, I picked up the tell-tale sign of fall, the pumpkin, which now sits on the front steps. Hopefully the critters won't start gnawing on it like they did last year. I don't know what it is with animals and my yard - between the skunks, squirrels, woodchucks and least we forget last winter's fox I think they see this to be the trendy part of town.

10 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

Pedaling your papaya? Hee hee.

We don't really have to deal with grubs around here, thank goodness.

Rick, I love your life.

Jabacue said...

Nothing is worse than a 'slow leak' Rick. And you are so young!lol
Are the grubs, slugs? Like the BIG fellas? Good luck.
Jim

Brahm (alfred lives here) said...

We have two pumpkins out front as of this week. They're fake, which is kind of creepy. Anyhoo...

Love the pics of you guys by the water!

Lemuel said...

Having had a dog get spray by a skunk once, I have no argument with any of your attempts to safeguard your yard against them.

A Lewis said...

I was just thinking about you today...wondering how you were. Glad for the update!

wcs said...

Life sounds good. Except for the skunks. We left those behind in San Francisco (they are city skunks, living in the canyon next to our old neighborhood). But there are none in France.

And that deck looks like a great place to hang out!

Rick said...

The picture of the porch in this post is of the cottage we rent in Maine, no skunks there...only deer.

Greg said...

I hope those skunks stay away. If Bandit were to tangle with them, ooh, that stink!!

the cajun said...

Careful with those skunks. When I lived in the mountains of NW New Jersey, a family set up their homestead and wintered under the porch. Come spring local hounds discovered the den and attacked. The house was unlivable for days.

Ur-spo said...

I have the same cartoon on my laptop wallpaper !